5. And The Ties That Hold Us

"Could ya stop with the fucking calm facade and show some darn emotions?! It's the only reason why you look so empty and lonely all the damn time!"

"I'm not lonely. You usually scare people off when you smile."

"Why you-?!"

Kanae stifled her giggles with the back of her hand, watching the childish interactions of her two adversaries. The silent, cold Water Breath user who was a man of a few words barely minding the hostility of the aggressive and ill-tempered Wind Breath user. Their ramblings often reminded her of when Shinobu would often complain about Kanao's empty, mechanical-like state when she was taken in by the Kochou Sisters.

The memory lurched on her heart as it ached at her blunt, serious sister. Why would her thoughts always be swarmed with endless amounts of guilt and shame than vengeance? The shame of even calling herself her sister when she couldn't feel pure hatred without it softening by sympathy. To have sharpened her skills to her best for the time she'll plan out her vengeance. Instead, she only loathed in shame for her incompitence to feel vengeance. It wasn't as though she didn't hate Douma(he killed her sister for goodness' sake) but it wasn't much as others would feel.

Kanae blinked away any amount of doubt lurking around in the back of her mind and glanced between the two males, walking with them to Kagaya's home for a certain Hashira meeting. The gravelled pathway was always long and if they were to continue walking at this pace, they would surely be early, if not on time to the meeting. However, if they were continue to make a fuss and stopped every so often, she doubted they'd make any progress in reaching their leader's home at this rate.

Thinking back, the ravenette was surprise to meet both of them on her way there. She knew of Giyuu and Sanemi's rocky start and how their 'friendship' isn't all too great to begin with, but it was amusing. How conpletely opposite they both were in personality and everything.

Kanae felt the tips of her lips tilted upwards while she walked closer to the two. "Ne, Giyuu-san, Sanemi-san, let's stop this argument before we reach Oyakata-sama. We both know he won't like us fighting like this," she warned gently clapping both of her hands together as she shone them another one of her gentle smiles.

Giyuu's face didn't contort into anything at her warning, only giving her a raised brow, staring her blankly with dark blue orbs. Sanemi, on the other hand, glared at her except it didn't have that much malice compared to how he glared at the other ravenette male. In retaliation, he snorted at her pacifism and glowered. "This doesn't have anything to do with you. If it worries you so much, then just walk past us." He rolled his eyes, saying it like it's the most obvious thing.

The Flower Breath user closed her eyes for a moment, shaking her head with a sigh, then stared him back up. "It'll be pretty rude if I did that. You two always have these childish arguments that I'm always wondering what would it look like if you two got along instead?" Her expression brightened. "Maybe the both of you would be pretty good friends! Won't that sound nicer?"

"He started it," Giyuu spoke up bluntly; changing the topic and earning him a grunt and glower.

"Ha?! You really want to pick a fight with me?! Tch, even just looking at your face pisses me off more than what you say!" He pounded his fist into his palm, cracking his fingers in a malicious thrill. "As if I'd ever be friends with you."

Kanae watched the fruitless unwavering attempts of fighting and insults fired, in her opinion, rather stupidly at one another. Either by vulgar words or by the dismissed look in their eyes. She puffed her cheeks out for a moment, albeit frustrated by their current ignorance, before calmly grabbing both of their arms. Their attention shifted easily to her with surprise; Sanemi showing it visibly while Giyuu's eyes widened by just a fraction.

"Then why don't we hurry on and go? We might be the last ones to arrive." The girl poked her head in the space between her fellow Hashiras.

"Like shit we're late." The silver-haired man rolled his eyes.

"Did you see anyone else passed by us?" The airiness in her voice, he could sense the challenge in it as she questioned him slyly.

His eye twitched before roughly swiping his arm out of hers, a pointed look shot her way, which she didn't mind.

Kanae released her hold from the Water Hashira and dove through them gracefully, finally walking ahead of them. She hadn't noticed it until now how peaceful the area around them was. The soft fertile grass groomed to its greenest along with the few trees that hunched and curved slightly, as well as the small houses inhabited by either fellow demon slayers and fellow citizens alike. This scenery felt as though the demons were mere tales and nothing more than fiction.

Her mind paused in the midst of her viewing. A place where demons and humans can get along. Could this be classified as a ficitional tale? She wanted to stay optimisitic, but it was undeniable.

Pushing away her current thoughts, Kanae looked over her shoulder with a cheeky grin etched on her face. "Also, it wouldn't be bad if you two would be friends, you know? Giyuu-san, it's bad enough that not a lot of people really like you." He looked utterly shock, frozen in his spot and stood as stiff as a statue. Sanemi almost burst in laughter at the sight. "But it would be scary to see Sanemi-san becoming happy with a friend." His grin dropped and his vein almost burst at the comment. Kanae merrily giggled and lightly jogged away from the two, turning to face forward while ignoring the empty threats pointing directly at her.

She'll think about it for another time.