7. A Heart To Heart

Kanae found the familiar purple-colored butterfly right outside of the estate.

Another night, another time for her to mediate on the passing days. The conversation with Tanjirou replayed like a marathon in her mind. Did she truly felt obligated to telling him what went on in her mind(and heart) from the scent of her remorse? Instead, the bulge in her throat disappeared from the support he gave to her ideal dream. A dream she's aware he would pull off with his dear sister, Nezuko, by his side.

She slowly lifted a delicate finger up to the fluttering insect that perched on it. As elegant as always. She would often think whenever it came into her view. She inspected the common, yet fragile creature before her attention fell elsewhere. The crunching of the small rocks beneath the sandals of the wearer and how close they were. It did intrigued her how the butterfly didn't flutter away from the new presence, almost as if it was watching out for her despite it's petite form.

Just the immediate thought etched a lovely smile on Kanae's face. Eyes averting next to her, she glanced at Giyuu standing close to her, his own orbs reflecting the pond in front of them. His mirror image staring deep into his own eyes. The reflection of the moon hovered above the duo who stood under its watchful gaze.

"I'm sorry to suddenly call you here, Giyuu-san," Kanae apologized, speaking up after she knew the male wouldn't start the conversation. "I just really need to talk to you about something."

As expected from him, Giyuu said nothing, his eyes never left his reflection. The Flower Breath user waited a few more minutes in case before continuing. "It's about Tanjirou-kun and Nezuko-chan." Her pale violets caught how he stiffened at the names. "They really are special children. It surprised me at the time that you'd protected them in the mountains. It was so unlike you that I would've believed you were taken over by that Lower Moon Demon-"

"They were different." Her lips sealed shut at his words. Giyuu maintained eye contact with her as he tore his eyes away from the small pond, almost catching a glimpse of glimmer in those blue orbs. "I can believe in those two that they can represent a better look for the Demon Slayers."

A distant loud yell from the Butterfly Estate rang throughout the night, breaking the silence as it echoed. Kanae attempted the stifle her giggles behind her hand when she noticed the twitch from Giyuu's eyebrow; the moment now broken.

He quirked a brow at the whimsical Kochou, who hummed when she noticed his lingering gaze. "Tanjirou-kun has been practicing his Total Concentration Breathing for a week now. If he continues his training at this rate, I'm sure he'll be able to master it in no time flat," she smiled giddily at him. Silence resumed its tantalizing snare around the duo, yet it felt as if a refreshing breath of air circled in her lungs. "He has the potential in him, after all."

The Water Hashira silently hummed at her declaration, once remaining quiet and stoic as he's always been perceived. Kanae, too, kept her peace at a silent note, enjoying the pleasant and comforting night with the evening cicadas chirping outside the walls of the estate. Her attention often drifted to the dazzling stars above them for no particular reason.

Until the wistful sight of the familiar butterfly fluttered into view. Did it return as a constant reminder of reality? It's surely working if that's the case.

"Kochou," the deep voice rang into her ears. Almost like she was floating, her senses crashed back into her mind and her eyes focused on the ravenette. His blank expression hinted slight contemplation in how his words would go and how it'd end. "How are you feeling today?"

The question came as a surprise, yet expected all the same. It seemed out of the ordinary for Giyuu to ask her something empathetic, but the thought in it despite the dull tone pricked a sense of warmth nevertheless.

"I've been feeling a bit tired after today's events!" She coolly played off with her energetic smile. "Even so, seeing Kanao and the others working hard here in the estate does make me feel better, knowing they're in safe hands." She decided against herself for a moment to speak about the sight of the purple butterfly's presense bringing different emotions twisting around inside her chest.

He doesn't need to know. It doesn't matter anyways. Nothing's wrong so there shouldn't be a problem, she breathed deeply to ignore the problematic temptation of spilling her worries. This problem is mine to face. Not a problem I should let others intervere in. After all, I'm the cause of Shinobu's death.

Inwardly gulping back the heavy bulge in her throat, Kanae glanced back to meet his ocean blue hues. "Why do you ask? Are you worried about me? Is that it, Giyuu-san?" She presented her classic smile once more; his lips unmoving by her teasing personality.

"Do you hate demons?"

A sword through the heart; merciless and blunt. The question again targeted to her feelings as she visibly winced in shock. Her eyes widened and shifted them to the butterfly. It still continues to hover above us. She knew the answer. It was simple, so obvious.

Of course she did. She could never.

They killed her sister. Then why does she feel remorse for them?

Who wouldn't hate them? Someone as enigmatic and cruel as her...

She made no effort to speak, her smile returning to the way it had been since Shinobu's death. Empty, strained, lost. She knew... that her fellow demon slayer was awaiting a response when his orbs glued her stiff to the ground.

The answer was so obvious, but her mouth wouldn't move. Her throat unable to blurt any words out. How pathetic of me. She wasn't sure if the butterfly above her had continued flying or had it been her self-doubt creating illusions in her mind. Was it waiting for her pitiful response too?

It surely must've known the answer if it was tauntingly provoking her to say.

Kanae lifted her head again, this time facing Giyuu with an unfathomable smile. It wasn't empty this time, but it was messy to say it wasn't anything good. She didn't know if she was able to convey her answer through that sheepish grin as her lips twitched.

The obvious answer...

I don't know.