2. Raindrops Don't Just Hide Tears

Her duties as a Flower Hashira weren't as complicated as people may believe, but they weren't easy nevertheless.

At the time being, no requests were made by her crow to pursue any missions or errands by their leader for the daytime. Kanae decided to spend the last few hours taking in the glorious sight on the patio before the sun reached its peak in the sky. To take another few moments to breathed the summery breeze before she retreated back to care for the others' needs.

Alas, a single droplet that flicked on her nose signaled her of the sunny day's end. Clouds circling above and blocking the previously clear blue skies in a gray, murky smog. The cotton white too becoming gray and the fast pouring of droplets softly streaming down.

Her lips curled down at the inconvience and she heaved. That's the rest of her time left in the sun. It wasn't all too bad for the calm Kochou, shutting her eyes and allowing her sense of hearing to sink in the sound of the rain. It wasn't what she expected, but the unexpected felt relieving to her in one way or another. Sure, it ruined her chances of going out for her daily visits to see some of the other hashiras, but this was fine.

It gave her more time to think about that day. It was something she'd always put aside when anybody's around or when she's busy in her errands and missions. Yet, it was the very thing that somehow squirmed back into her heart after all's set and done.

Was it from the pain of watching her sister taking her place of the attack that fatally wounded her? Was it the sorrow of watching another love one die in her arms? Or the guilt of still pitying the very demon that murdered her sister in cold blood?

The Second Upper Moon (she remembered how he introduced himself as Douma) who felt only apathy for his entire life receiving the sympathy and pity of a human - no less a demon slayer. She could only blame the childish belief of hoping a better future where both demons and humans may get along one day.

The disappointment and anger Shinobu would've felt if she realized that Kanae still strived for that future. It was nothing more than a mere pipe dream, but it was a hopeful dream she believed in.

The creaking of wood yelled from next to her, attracting her attention as she fluttered her eyes open, glancing over to where it came from and meeting gentle eyes.

Kanae softly smiled down at her younger adopted sister, though she felt more like blood. "Hello, Kanao." She greeted with as much cheer in her voice as possible. "I hope you're feeling just fine today! It looks like the rain'll become stronger later on."

There wasn't a response that came from the girl, that much was somewhat expected. She wouldn't go and force anything out from the girl's mouth if she didn't want to.

She noticed how her smile had faintly dimmed into a straight line, her purple hues concentrated on something in her palm. Tracing her eyes down to the palm of her hands, she noticed the coin settled on it, seeing as she was deciding on what to do. She, however, does wish for the day she wouldn't need the help of the coin anymore. She could still wait for that day to come.

Kanae's focus returned when Kanao flipped the coin into the air, watching curiously at what her decision would be. And if she was correct, was she going to question her elder sister's feelings? Was she going to ask?

The coin dropped down on the back of her hand, using her other hand to make it not fall off. When she removed her hand, it revealed 'tails' as the decision.

Kanao craned her head to look up at her sister's bug-like, yet beautiful pale spheres. "Onee-san really cares for you and she believes in what you do. Please don't blame yourself."

The Hashira was taken aback by the surprising statement. She hadn't expect her to mention anything of the sort. But it's to be expected as well. She, too, lost her sister despite the stoic expression across her face. Her orbs unconsciously eyed the white and purple butterfly ornament that tied her ponytail.

Instead of a reply, she diverted her gaze to the rain for a moment. Kanae raised her hand gradually to the sky, turning so that her palm scooped up the droplets of rain. Filling her hand slowly with water, she's reminded of the Tsuguko next to her, watching her movements carefully. Awaiting for her answer.

She only graced her with a smile; a smile of reassurance and gratitude for her presence in her time of need. "I know that, Kanao." Kanae glanced back to the rain, eyeing the clouds with misty eyes as she released the water that began to overflow. The water gathered up creating a large splash that hit the ground and it's own puddle soaking up.

This time, she responded with a close-eyed smile. "I'm sure she's watching us right now! After a few more minutes, let's go back in and show her that we're doing fine, okay?" She chirped up positively.

Kanao, inwardly troubled, could only follow her gaze in contemplation. Troubled to ask her about the sorrow and shame hidden behind her smile. For the first time, she felt it was best to not get an answer from her coin for this.