Xiao Mei Mei

Walking off the plane, Hao Ting had already prepared himself for his mother's tears and his father's stoic expression, but all he got was his sister's look of desperation.

After hugging his sister warmly, Hao Ting asked "Xiang Yong Xing, where are mom and dad?"

"They're still at home," replied Xiang Yong Xing. "They said I was old enough to come pick you up myself but I had to make sure you came straight home. Hao Ting you have to help me, it's both our graduations but mom and dad have been acting as though you are their only child. Mom's been in a cleaning frenzy '...trying to make everything nice for Hao Ting, he hasn't been home in two years...' She's cleaned the entire apartment three times today and she's cleaned your room almost 10 times since she booked your ticket. I was even sitting on the couch and mom just dusted around me without saying a word. Meanwhile, Dad's been cooking all your favorite dishes. He won't let anyone near the kitchen. Hao Ting, I've missed you too, but this is just too much."

"So, you did miss me?" teased Hao Ting as the two were walking to the exit.

"Of course, I missed you. Hao Ting, I know you like the freedom of living in the U.S., but you can't stay awake this long again. Mom and dad then go overboard and I'm the one who suffers," pleaded Xiang Yong Xing.

There has only been 2 people who could read his emotions perfectly, Yu Shi Gu and his little sister. Even after 2 years, she could tell how he was feeling without saying a word.

"You know you should just have a conversation with Dad," advised Xiang Yong Xing to her brother as they rode in the taxi home. She continued, "You do not have to tell him that Yu Shi Gu was the one love of your life, you can just tell him that getting your doctorate takes up a lot of your time and it would be unfair to try and date someone."

"Yeah, like that'll work," Hao Ting responded dejectedly.

"You need to explain to him that you're happy and comfortable with where you are right now, that you're okay. I hear him and mom talking sometimes, he still worries about your happiness. He sincerely believes that if you had someone, it would help you get past the pain. If you show him that you are already working on that, he might not push meeting someone so much. So, my advice is between her and home, you should definitely change that face."

The face she was referring to only got there once he had said yes to this visit. Progressively until then, his face was showing more and more smiles. Xiang Yong Xing was right, he was in a more comfortable place and he was doing okay. He just needed some help remembering that. He just needed to show this new and emotionally healing Hao Ting to his dad. 

"When did you become the big sister and I become the little brother?"

"Did you not know, I was always the mature one between us two."