Lesson One

If You Want Change, You Have To Invite Chaos.

"Lyra! Lyra! Over here!"

Politely I waved and smiled at the cameras as I started to make my way towards the open doors off the grand house. The flashing of the lights were blinding but it was something I had gotten used to after years of being in the spot light.

It was one of my father's business partners birthday's and his wife had thrown a massive gathering for just about everyone who held some sort of power in this city. I knew this was a publicity stunt for the new merger that was happening between them and our company but I wasn't going to complain. Any publicity was good publicity and if they wanted to show off our family then who was I stop them.

Making my way in I was greeted by a waiter who handed me a glass of champagne. I could feel all the eyes fall on me as they registered that I had arrived. They whispered under their breath and I could hear my name flow from their lips but I made no move to acknowledge them. Even the waiter looked me up and down and if he was braver he probably would've asked me out there and then.

None of them dared though, they all knew the rumors that surrounded me. As they watched Kai and Evie run up to me through the crowd it probably all but confirmed it for them. Men wouldn't dare ask me out, not when they knew Riker Kennedy was my boyfriend. There was some men you don't want to get on the wrong side of and Riker was one of them.

Though Riker found it funny watching those brave enough or just clueless asking me out. He always just said it was fun watching someone try and get at something they can never have. I just rolled my eyes at his amusement.

"You look so pretty." Looking down at Evie she had gotten big over the last few years and she was starting to look more grown up at ten. Her blonde hair that she had gotten from her mom was flowing around her shoulders. Her hazel eyes taking in my appearance in awe. She had always admired my style more so as she was getting older. Riker on the other hand was having a break down as she got older. As his niece he was already about to threaten any guy who looked her way. At thirteen Kai her older brother wasn't that far behind him.

"Thank you Evie you look beautiful too." Evie grinned at my compliment and I turned my attention to Kai who was looking bored by the whole thing. "You look handsome too Kai."

"Mom made me wear it. She says as a Kennedy we have to look the part." Then his voice fell so just I could hear. "Even though I have no Kennedy blood in me."

Kai was at that age were nothing was truly hidden from him anymore. He knew his mom wasn't actually the daughter of Xavier Kennedy. The way we all seen it though was that he was the man that raised Jessica and that alone made her and her children a Kennedy. Me and Riker made it clear that he wasn't to allow anyone tell him otherwise but that didn't mean he wouldn't have the odd dig. I just put it down to teenage hormones.

"What's makes us family isn't always blood." That was someone my mom had taught me, after all I wasn't truly her daughter either but she was still my mom. She did her best to raise me and Damon and even if it wasn't the right way all the time but she did try.

Kai looked like he wanted to argue but he knew he couldn't. He knew if anyone could understand the situation best it would be me. He had not case to argue. He was a Kennedy and always would be.

"Where's Riker?" Asked Evie scanning the crowd behind me for her uncle.

"Some business meeting. He'll be here soon, don't worry." I gave her a warm smile and watched as Jessica started to make her way over to us. She greeted people on her way over all over them greeted her with wide smiles and open arms. Over the last few years I noticed just how much people loved Jessica. She lived in this world naturally like she was never away from it at all.