Lesson Thirty-Seven

Whoever Is Trying To Bring You Down Is Already Below You.

"Hope you're ready." Riker glanced at me as I loaded my guns and pulled on my jacket. His eyes were dark and full or mischief, he was looking forward to what was about to go down. This was a man who was born for this life and welcomed it with open arms and for some mad reason I loved him more for it.

"Princess, I'll always be ready for what ever type of shit you get us into." He looked over at the warehouse the corner of his lips stretching upwards. The look in his eyes and how he held himself told me one thing.

The devil wasn't in hell. He was standing right here beside me.

Looking around I noticed it was just me, Riker, Zane, Kate and Davis left. The others had went to get into place. Davis was adamant that he went in through the front with us to keep the attention fully away from his men. I wasn't going to object to his wishes. After all I've played him at every corner, the least I can do was this.

He was geared up in equipment and between his bulletproof vest and technical equipment, he looked ready for war.

A war that I may or may not have started in the first place.

"So this is what it's like to work side by side with you." Davis voice caught all our attention as he looked us over one by one. His expression was blank but there was something there in his eyes. "You all look way to comfortable in this situation."

Zane scoffed and clicked the safety off his gun. "When you have faced death one to many times you learn to get comfortable with it."

Zane made his way over to the main door and the rest of us followed behind. The only sound that could be heard was our footsteps on the harsh cold ground. We knew when we needed to put the jokes aside and this was one of these times.

If we weren't ready for what was to happened next we would in fact get really comfortable with death. After all it could so easily become our reality.

Zane rested his hand on the door handle, Kate standing on his right and me and Riker on his left. Davis stood a few feet away which is where Riker had told him to stay. He didn't want him getting in our way and it would make it easier for him to get out. As much as Davis got on our nerves I don't think any of the us actually wanted his death on any of our consciences.

I'd be the first to admit that us and Davis had some sort of love, hate thing going on.

Slowly Zane pushed down the door handle and it clicked open. We looked at each other in silence before I gave them a nod. Reassuring them that this was what we needed to do. We just needed to be ready for what ever was on the other side of this door.

The door creaked open loudly and all of us tensed at the sound but that didn't wipe the eager expressions of their faces. Even Kate looked excited for what was going to come next and I understood even more second by second why Zane had brought her along.

Well everyone looked eager apart from Davis of course, but that was no surprise.

Zane was the first one to walk in then me and Kate. Riker followed behind with Davis watching our backs as the door slammed closed behind us.

There was no going back now. We had walked into the trap and everything was about to come at us at full force.

There was one thing that hit me as I walked in. The smell of petrol. It was so strong I couldn't help but let a grin slip across my face at the thought of knowing I was right. It was always a proud moment when you were proven right about something major and this was one of those moments.