Lesson Twenty-Seven

Friends Become Our Own Chosen Family.

Davis was looking at every one of us carefully under his gaze. I could see the calculations running through his head as he tried to piece everything together.

He knew we had something to do with this, he just didn't know how. He had nothing on us, it was just a guess.

A guess because he knew who we were and what we were capable of but nothing else. A hunch won't stand up for much in court.

"My dad has escaped?" Riker looked at him with doubt and for a moment I believed that he didn't believe the words that came out Davis' mouth. If Riker had a different life he would've been one hell of a actor.

Davis looked at him his eyes trying to find any sense of lying on his face. He mustn't have found anything because he sighed, looking frustrated with the whole thing.

"I don't know how you lot did it but I know you all had something to do with this."

"You really think we were able to bust out my dad from one of the most high security prisons in the world?" Riker looked around the room at us with his infamous grin on his face. It must have ticked Davis the wrong way because he narrowed his eyes at him. "We are just a bunch of twenty-two year old spoilt rich brats, do you really think we could plan something like this?"

Davis sat in silence for a while staring each one of us down. His eyes landed on Zoe studying her carefully.

"Your  a good hacker kid. Want to tell me how you did it? Considering you're sitting here with not even a phone or a watch on your wrist. Trust me I made sure the guards were extra careful in making sure you had nothing on you."

Zoe tilted her head at him like a confused child. "Don't know what your talking about."

Davis pressed something on the remote in front of him and Zoe's profile came up on the large screen. I looked over it carefully with a blank look taking in every word on the screen. It was nothing but guesses, they didn't actually have anything on her.

Zoe let out a low whistle realising the same thing I had. "That's a nice story you've got there about me. I didn't even know I was capable of that stuff."

"You hacked into the governments system when you were just nine. You've changed school grades and hacked into some of the most secure organisations known to man." He then gave her a pointed. "Let's not lie in front of your friends we both know what you're capable of. After all we did try to recruit you after you left High School."

My eyes snapped over to Zoe at the last comment. They had tried to get her on their side. Zoe could have a completely different life from the one she has now and I couldn't have blamed her if she took the chance. Her mom always wanted her to have a big high end job because of her skills. She tells her mom she does but not the fact it's under Riker.

She could've made her moms dream a reality if she had taken the opportunity. Yet here she was, still loyal to Riker and the others.

"And as I told you before when you tried to recruit me. I have no idea what you are on about. I'm just a girl from a poor family who became friends with Riker Kennedy. I work in the tech company for him coming up with new ideas. Look at the payroll I'm there." Her voice was hard and blunt as she spoke. It was clear she didn't like the fact he had brought up that little fact in front of us.

Then it clicked what he was trying to do. He was trying to turn us against each other.

Riker was looking at Zoe carefully probably trying to work out the same thing I was. There was no sense of betrayal there though, he trusted her. He always would and I was relieved to see that look on his face. No matter what Davis said he wouldn't get under Riker's skin with this one.