Lesson Thirty-One

The Most Reliable Way To Predict The Future Is To Create It.

"You've come along way." My dad stood beside me in front of the fireplace. The heat coming from the fireplace this time of year was one of my favourite things. How it just seemed to magically warm up your body even though your surrounding was still cold.

The rest of the family were in the background around the Christmas tree arguing about a picture that had just been taken. Our mum was adamant the picture was lovely while my brothers argued against that statement.

There was no words to describe how happy I was watching all of them in the background. It reminded me so much of when we were kids, before the world through all the shit at us.

"I know the business is getting bigger." I took a sip of my drink as I watched them with a warm smile on my face.

"That's not what I mean." Dad's voice was low as he spoke he was making sure that I was the only one who could hear. Even though I pretty sure he could be yelling and the others still wouldn't hear us over their mayhem.

"What?"

"You've done a pretty good job at keeping me and your brothers out of it but I know what you've been up to." He gave me a knowing look before going on. "You're my daughter Lyra, from you were a little girl I've always known when you were up to something. I've seen it for months now since you came back. You've been planning something and I'm sure that something has to do with Nisha."

"It will be over soon." Not even denying what my dad was saying. He knew me to well to know when I was lying. Plus we were well past that stage with each other.

In three days this was going to be all over. Three days from now me and the others were going to strike. I wanted this to be over before the new year so that we could all start fresh.

"I don't want to know the details." Reassured my dad even though I didn't think I would tell him anyway. He was my dad I didn't want to make him worry anymore than he already does. "Just make sure you and the others come out on top of what ever is about to go down."

Grinning at my dad I lifted my glass up to him. "Never forget one of the very first lessons you taught me."

"If your going to start a war, make sure you win." My dad rolled his eyes as he spoke the words out loud. It was something he had taught me and Damon from we were kids.

Who knew those words would come to have so much truth behind them.

"Just don't tell mom." My voice was soft as I glanced back at my mom and my brothers. Hayden and Chase had each other in a headlock as Damon and Alex were being dragged into another photo with her. "She's already been through a lot I don't want to make her worry."

"I wasn't planning on telling your mom." Agreed my dad as he to watched the scene in front of us. "She's very happy that we can all be together like this again you know that right?"

"I know that's why I don't want her to know what her two youngest children are up to."

My dad studied me for a moment, I could sense his gaze from the corner of his eye. He was thinking and I wasn't going to snap him out of his thoughts. Being to busy in my own thoughts was enough to send my mind into overdrive never mind trying to work out someone else's in this moment.

"You're nothing like her Lyra."

Slowly my electric blue eyes clashed with his. Something that made me incredibly proud to share with him. Anytime I needed a sense of home when I was alone I could always look in a mirror and see him standing there looking at me.