6. Tutoring

Nabin

"Mom, dad, I'm home— What the fuck are you doing here?!" I asked Yeonjun, who was currently having tea with my parents in the living room.

"Nabin, language." Dad spoke in a calm tone.

"Sorry, it just came out but can you tell me why that thing is in our house?" I asked once again.

"What thing?" Mom looked at me in confusion.

"Him." I pointed at Yeonjun.
"What is he doing here?"

"Nabin, don't call Yeonjun that name. It's rude and disrespectful." Dad told me.

"Think about his parents. They gave him that name, so I would like for you to call him Yeonjun, not that thing." Mom said.

Oh yeah... I didn't really think about his parents. I sighed. I guess I'll call him his name then....

"Fine, I'll stop calling him that after you tell me why he's in our house." I said with arms crossed.

"Starting today, Yeonjun is going to be your tutor."

"WHAT!" My eyes widened. "Why?! My grades are perfectly fine! I don't need a tutor!"

I lied. My grades are TERRIBLE, but I don't want him as my tutor! I want someone smart like Taehyun!

"Last night your teacher called us and told us about how your grades aren't improving ever since senior year started. Since midterm is around the corner, I want Yeonjun to help you get ready for it." Dad said.

"But—"

"And there's nothing you can do to change our minds, now go get your books and pencils or pens from your room. Yeonjun will be waiting out here for you."

"Why can't he come to my room and teach me? I don't want to be out here."

Actually, I just didn't want to come back to the living room because I'm lazy.

"Because why would I let my daughter be in a room alone with a guy?" He crossed his arms.

"We can just make them keep the door open." My mom tried to convince him. It took him a moment to think about it before giving us his consent.

"Thank you dad." I smiled at him as I watched him walk away.

Yeonjun

"Follow me." She deadpanned before leaving the living room and walking to her room.

"Thank you for the tea, Mrs. Jung. It was delicious." I said.

"You're welcome! Anything for Nabin's future b— friend." She smiled and I grinned.

"UGH! HURRY UP AND GET IN HERE ALREADY!" Nabin yelled. "I WANT TO GET THIS OVER WITH!"

"Looks like that's your cue to leave." Mrs. Jung said and I awkwardly laughed.

"I'll get going then..." I gave her a little wave before quickly getting up from the couch and rushed to her room.

As soon as I entered her room, she immediately made me sit on the floor and told me not to move. I decided to listen to her and watched her move her study table in front of me. She silently grabbed her backpack and took out her textbooks and pencil case, before taking a seat across from me.

"You have exactly two hours after that, you immediately go home. Got it?" I nodded.
"Okay, your time starts now."

"Well before we officially start, I was wondering if you can show me your report card." I said with a small smile.

"Why."

"So I can see which subject you need most help with." I replied.

"Well, I can't show you it because I don't remember where I put it. It probably ended up in the trash since I don't care about it." She said.

"Then can you tell me which subject you're struggling with the most?" I asked, patiently waiting for her to answer.

"I can't think of anything right now." She stated.

"Why?"

"Because seeing your face for too long is giving me this huge headache." She responded. I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that.

"I heard from your mom that you're struggling with English the most, so let's start with that first."

Third Person

"What is the difference between there, their, and they're." Yeonjun spoke in English and Nabin looked at him in confusion.

"Why do you keep repeating the same words?" She asked.

"Because they have the same pronunciation, but each of them has different meanings." He explained, briefly.

"How did you know? I thought you were dumb." She commented.

"Would it kill you to be nice for once? It really hurts to hear those things from you." He told her.

"Oh... I'm sorry...." She apologized.

*Whoa, I wasn't expecting her to say that.* He smiled. *I knew she was a good person—*

"But does it look like I give a fuck about your stupid feelings?"

*Spoke too soon...* He thought.

"Why do you hate me so much?" He asked.
"What did I ever do to you?"

Before Nabin could say anything, her mom knocked on her door and the both of us turned their attention to her.

"Dinner is ready. Come out and eat." She said, about to walk away until Nabin stopped her.

"Wait!" She got up from the floor and pointed at Yeonjun. "Is he going to eat with us?"

"What kind of question is that? Of course he is! Why would we eat without him when he's our guest?"

"Well, he's not hungry. Right—" Suddenly, Yeonjun's stomach growled which made Nabin angry.

"Are you serious?! Why didn't you stop your stomach from growling!" She yelled at him.

"Why are you getting mad? It's not his fault that his stomach growled." Her mom told her.

Nabin heaved a sigh from annoyance, "Whatever. Let's just go." She said before walking out of the room.

"Yeonjun?" Mrs. Jung called his name.

He looked up at her and raised his brows, "Yes?"

"Are you coming?" She asked and he nodded.

"But can you tell me where the restroom is?" He asked. "I want to wash my hands first."

"Of course! When you come out, it's the second door to your right." She told him.

"Thank you."