Chapter 29

The past few days spent back at the apartment were tense. Tim wasn't convinced staying was the best option, even with his concussion. I continued insisting we waited until he was better- or at least until he could pick up a new prescription of his medication, as he only had a few left after losing the new bottle he'd gotten from the doctor's visit. We both knew who was behind it, and the potential threat it brought. On top of that I couldn't get that unknown man's voice out of my head, always telling me cryptic things I couldn't remember upon waking up.

"This needs to stop. I have to start doing something about this before more people get hurt. The longer this goes on the worse it gets. I have to find Zac an-"

"Ash, you've been staring at the wall for over an hour now." Tim's voice broke through my conflicting thoughts as he paused the movie. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"I'm fine." I got up, ignoring the whitenoise quietly playing in the back of my head; it had been there all day. "I'm going for a walk."

"Now?"

"Yeah, there isn't exactly a whole lot going on right now." I pulled on my jacket.

I heard him stand up behind me. "What's going on? You've been acting weird all day."

"Nothing is going on. I just don't like sitting around waiting for something to happen to us."

"Where are you going?" This time he blocked my path as I tried to get to the door. "Ash, talk to me."

I stared at him, observing his condition, before turning away. "I wasn't going to look for trouble if that's what you were thinking. I just need to get outside- we haven't gone anywhere since we got back. It's not like staying inside is going to stop them from finding us- they probably know we're here."

"At least let me come with you. We shouldn't split up."

"...If you feel like you can, then fine." The urge to argue against him coming along shot through me as the ringing in my head grew worse, though I pushed it aside. There wasn't a reason to fight over something like this. "I'll be right back, I need to get my keys- and you might want your coat, there might be rain later."

I winced as the pain in my skull grew worse the second I stepped into my room. The tall figure of Slenderman standing in the corner almost didn't register through the static. My steps faltered and I staggered to the side, trying to retreat and warn Tim. A tentacle wrapped tightly around my wrist and a burning sensation went through my arm around the strange mark located there. Surprisingly, I was released, the burning fading momentarily, before white-hot pain burst through my head. I slumped down in front of him, feeling my control disappearing as I fell into darkness.

Not long after, I found myself standing in front of three figures; Toby, Zac, and a feral looking woman in a filthy white jacket. Behind them, Slenderman watched silently.

"You should've joined us." Zac stepped forward. "If you really want this to be over, that's what you would do."

"S-stop." Toby shoved him back before staring down at me. "Y-you're here be-because of t-hat demon. W-hat d-did he t-tell you?"

"Demon?" I stayed silent as I tried to make sense of what was happening. "That... person from the hospital?"

"Master knows he hasn't done anything to hurt our plans." Zac glared murderously at Toby. "He knows not to mess with our master."

"Th-at demon shouldn't f-fucking b-be here. H-he played h-is part."

I backed away, shuddering when the woman gave an aggressive snarl.