Chapter 40

"Follow me." Alastor pushed by us and shoved the rusted cellar door open, which let out an ear-splitting, shrill screech. "It uses less energy if I do it in the location of the memories- less illusion casting necessary."

"How do I know they'll be real answers?" I climbed out and left a few yards between us.

"I'll be pulling them from your subconscious... which means you and I are about to get real close, Sweetheart."

"How will that give me any of the answers I'm looking for?"

"You'll see... Your father recorded so much, but I'll show you the sins he hid and the things you've forgotten." He stared back at us as Tim and I continued standing there. "I'd suggest we get moving unless you want to hike through the woods in the dark."

I watched as Alastor once more began walking across the backyard and leaned closer to Tim. "If anything goes wrong, run. Don't come back for me. Just run."

Not waiting for a response, I started following after the demon. The faint light from the cloudy sky was already making my head hurt, which wasn't helping my balance as I limped into the overgrown trees. We continued going until the house was nearly out of sight behind us and the neighbor's field could be seen through the bare trees. Alastor came to a stop and motioned me closer to stand beside him.

"Do you remember this place?"

I glanced down the small slope into the pond below. "It's just the pond; we weren't allowed this far back unless someone went with us."

"This is where he tried to kill you."

"What? Who?"

Alastor turned, momentarily glancing over to check on Tim, before placing his hands on either side of my head and bending down so we were face to face. "This might hurt."

A burst of cold went through my body and I felt water wrap around me, pulling me down away from the surface. Water flooded my mouth as I instinctively tried calling out for help. My flailing did nothing as I continued to sink. Through the bubbles and chaotic ripples I could see the outline of a man looking down into the water. My arms and legs went still. The trail of bubbles from my mouth had already disappeared. The man had turned and left. Everything was shrinking to a small pinpoint of light as my vision left me. The freezing water felt warm compared to the cold overtaking my body. Even the burning fire in my lungs was extinguished as I continued to drown.

I dropped to my hands and knees on the ground, barely avoiding falling sideways and down into the water. Instinctively I coughed and gagged as if trying to cough up the water that wasn't there. My breathing was erratic as I gasped for air. I could feel someone pulling me away from the edge of the hill to flatter ground but couldn't understand what they were saying.

It took me a few minutes to calm down and realize my clothes were completely dry. I hadn't fallen into the water. The sensation of drowning wasn't something that had just occurred... It was just a memory dredged up by Alastor. My violent shaking didn't stop despite the realization. I slowly turned my head to the side to look at Tim as he glared at Alastor.

"I went easy on you." Alastor tilted his head as he stared boredly down at us. "I could've dragged out the memory, made the sensation last longer..."

I groaned before giving another cough and dropping completely onto the ground. It felt like I'd taken a bowling ball to the chest. "What... what happened?"

"Just now? I merely pulled up a memory. Usually I do it while a victim is sleeping or just stand off to the side but touching the vic-"

"No... after that..." I rubbed my temples, trying to get the hammering in my skull to stop.