Chapter 30

My mind was still half asleep when Tim shook me awake and when I shot up at the touch, his shadowed features were twisted from the nightmare's hold on my mind. All I could do was stare in horror as blood appeared to be running down his empty eye sockets while deep lacerations over his face and arms streamed dark crimson.

"It's not real." I pulled away sharply from him despite that knowledge as I tried to calm my breathing.

"Ash, are you alright?" He turned away to look around the room before staring back down at me. "I thought I heard you scream."

Shame went through me when he said that; my nightmares had never been bad enough to make noise in my sleep. Thrash around, sure but... scream? And loud enough to wake him up from another room? "I need to deal with Zac... the more I think about it the worse the nightmares are getting. It's pathetic..."

"I... It was only a nightmare, sorry." I couldn't look at him. "They've happened my entire life- I didn't mean to wake you up, usually that doesn't happen. It's probably just because of... earlier..."

"No one was killed."

"They could've been... you could've been." I finally looked at him. "When I was under his control, it was fighting stronger than usual. I think he's getting tired of waiting... What happens if Landon and Dillan become targets again? Their blood will be on my hands."

"You're doing everything you can to help them by staying away."

"What if it isn't enough?" I thought back to the last time I'd seen them... how I'd hurt them, been the reason behind Mallory's death. "They won't be safe until I kill the proxies and send their master a message."

"It's all you can do."

"...I know." I settled back down and gave a long sigh. "I'm going back to sleep."

I heard Tim walk out of the room and sat back up. As tired as I was, I couldn't fall asleep knowing I'd continue to be plagued by nightmares of Zac and the bodies of my family and friends. "I wish I could save him..."

It didn't take long for me to get ready, though trying to stay quiet to prevent waking Tim up again did slow me down. I grabbed my mask and an old metal bat from my closet before walking to the door, pausing to glance down at Tim.

"...I'm sorry, I have to." I left, locking the door quietly behind me before pulling my phone out of my pocket.

It rang long enough for me to question if he'd even answer... Finally, I heard Zac's voice on the other end. "Long time since you tried reaching out to me."

"Too long." I kept my voice neutral. "Zac, we need to meet... you were right about our master."

I hated calling that monster master let alone my master, but it had to be done to earn his trust... and it worked. I could hear the smugness in Zac's voice as he spoke. "Oh really? How's that, Pawn?"

"...It's hard to explain. I just... the power I feel- that he gives me... It feels right. I'm like a whole new person- finally free of my past." I got in my car, hoping I could keep up the lie. "I have a plan to prove my loyalty to him. To kill the sources- heh, maybe my old friends too if I have time- but I need your help to do it."

"Partners like the old times?" I could almost picture the Cheshire grin on his face.

"With a little more crime, yeah."

"I'll be waiting at my place."

"On my way." I hung up and began the short drive to his place, the tightness in my chest increasing the closer I got. "I can do this... I have to."