Chapter 55

I could see the tan jacket moving between the parked cars. He had no idea I'd found him and continued smoking as he cautiously scanned the area. I stuck to the shadows and continued moving silently through the dark parking lot.

"Shame he didn't find me first. Almost makes killing him too easy." I winced at the thought and nearly tripped over my own feet. "No... I won't- dammit, he shouldn't have come looking for me!"

His footsteps drew closer after my misstep alerted him to my presence. I retreated, ducking behind cars as I put distance between us. My skull was pounding as I tried to focus on which memories were mine and which belonged to past timelines. I glared in Tim's direction as he called my name but once again resisted the urge to attack.

"I need to make it stop. How do I make it stop!?" I knelt to the ground and rolled to the side, pressing up against the side of a car as I gripped my head. "He's coming to kill me- no, he's coming to help me- I can't let him find me. I don't want to hurt him... Kill him now!"

I scratched at my mark as the adrenaline agitated the azoth in my system. By now I'd grown accustomed to the sensation of burning from the inside out, however the discomfort hadn't faded entirely. I spotted him a car away and once again bolted. Behind me, I could hear Tim running after me.

"I can outrun him..." I picked up my pace only to stumble as another wave of pain made my head throb. "I could turn and fight- turn around and trust he can help. He can't stop this."

A fence blocked my escape as I reached the edge of the parking lot. Rather than look for another way out, I took a running leap at it and began climbing. The barbed wire at the top sliced into my hands and caught on my clothes as I jumped down on the other side. Glancing behind me I noticed Tim had vanished. Assuming he'd given up the pursuit I turned away, wincing as I opened and closed my bleeding hands in discomfort. The barbs hadn't done much damage but they did sting.

"Not like I haven't had worse." I began making my way to the closest alley I could find.

It wasn't long before I could hear someone following me. I paused to look behind me, barely able to see the silhouette ducking down in my peripheral vision due to the mask I wore. As soon as my back was turned again I heard footsteps charging at me. This time when I started running he was able to catch up. A growl escaped me involuntarily as Tim caught me and forced my arms behind my back to haphazardly tie them.

"He's going to kill me." I struggled harder before being forced to my knees. "I could've prevented this... If I had just killed him like ordered- no... No, I can't... I-I can't kill him. Not after Mallory and Zac... I can't do that to anyone else!"

I went limp in defeat and slumped my shoulders. Tim stepped in front of me, staring at me as if unsure what to do next. There was silence aside from the sound of him lighting another cigarette.

"Who's blood is that?" He finally spoke up.

I felt shame run through me. "I... I tried to fight them- Toby- on my own... t-to kill them. I-I don't remember what happened but I doubt Toby's dead. I just wanted to get rid of one threat, so we wouldn't have to worry about them when burning the ARK."

"You're in control now though. Why'd you run?"

"...You're going to kill me." I slowly looked up at him. "Because this keeps happening. You and I both know I'm not getting better."

"I also know you haven't tried to kill me when this does happen."

"Yet." I shifted and stayed silent, keeping the retort to myself. "Sometimes I can barely hold Pawn back."