Chapter 39

I fled through dark streets from an unknown enemy. No matter where I turned it felt like he was still watching me. Panic flooded my mind as I hit a dead end. I looked over my shoulder, expecting to be cornered only to find nothing there. When I took a step to return to the main street however, the ground shifted and I fell down a set of concrete stairs. Pain spread through my body. I couldn't move.

The urban area washed away around me as pure darkness consumed it. I tried to force myself to get up but couldn't do much more than lift my head. Glowing golden eyes met mine. That demon had found me, and was using this nightmare to toy with me. I heard him give a dark, amused laugh as he moved closer.

"You know, Doll, your cousin thinks you abandoned him- that you wouldn't come." He circled me before coming back around and kneeling down in front of me, sliding a finger under my chin to keep me from turning away. "I'm surprised you did as well, then again, look at the mess you're in."

I scowled and jerked my head away. "Ethan is dead!"

"He wishes." The demon easily stood me on my feet, though I found I was still stuck in place. "I know I certainly would love to have access to my full power again."

I shuddered uncomfortably as he pressed closer, one of his clawed, dark grey hands caressing my face in a way that suggested he might claw it open. The demon gave me an amused smile filled with sharp teeth and circled behind me, draping an arm over my shoulders while putting his other hand over my throat. He leaned down near my ear, his glowing eyes warming my cheek.

"This is your fault you know. If it weren't for you I'd still have all my power." His silky tone held a touch of anger to it. "I wonder... If I were to shred every last fiber of your sanity and consume your fear, would I get that power back? You have so much I could take."

I felt his grip tighten on my throat and swallowed nervously.

"Ethan doesn't want me to hurt you but you know, Pawn, he doesn't have to find out if I keep him in the dark." A pained whimper went through me as he pressed a pressure point on my neck. "You wouldn't necessarily die after all- most do once they hit that breaking point but... it's not my fault you mortals are weak."

He straightened and took the hand off my throat as he slid by, keeping his back to me as he stepped in front of where I stood and stopped. "Pray to Zalgo I decide to listen to your cousin. He's the only reason I'm helping you get rid of that tentacle bastard instead of using you to sustain my strength."

"Some help you are." I coughed and felt my body drop as the paralysis wore off.

"I'll see you soon... But don't think you'll like what you'll learn." The long black coat he wore melded with the darkness as he walked away, causing him to disappear soon after.

From the darkness, familiar screams began rising up. Their blaming cries echoing around me as they closed in...

"-Sh!" I grumbled and halfheartedly swatted at Tim as I finally heard him trying to wake me up while shaking my shoulder.

There was the sound of a relieved sigh and I turned my head to look at him, still feeling drowsy. "What...?"

"You weren't waking up." I could tell he was staring at the bloodied side of my head. "I found the cellar, we can get you to a hospital."

I got up and began following him before freezing and taking a step back. The memory of the demon telling me he was going to 'see me soon' replaying in my mind. "Is this really Tim or just the demon pretending to be him again?"