Chapter 2

Nara would be lying if she said camera's didn't intimidate her. Despite growing up with them around her all the time, she still felt butterflies in her stomach when she saw them.

Tonight was Friday, which mean that Illea's Capital Report, a TV show hosted by Kim Beomseok, airing. The TV show featured the royals and their insights.

Nara was sitting in the Women's room, the makeup artists finishing up her makeup. The Women's room was where they prepared for the show, filled with mirrors, tables, and chairs for preparation and velvet couches for relaxing. Her mother sat on the couch behind her, humming to herself as she looked at the script in her hands.

The Queen had a lovely voice, often singing for her daughter. Nara's mother was a Five before her father's selection, and told Nara stories of her life as singer. The Queen had to leave that life behind to become the ruler of Illea alongside the King, but after hearing about her parent's love story, Nara knew that her mother had no regrets.

Nara wore a liliac gown, her hair styled in a low bun with her tiara in her hair. She felt very princess-like as she sat there, legs crossed in her seat. The makeup artist backed away from her face, signalling that she was done. Nara smiled as she looked at her reflection in the mirror.

"Smile." Nara was surprised by the sudden flash. Nara turned around to see a familiar pink-haired boy in a grey hoodie and black jeans, holding a camera in his hands, a cheeky grin on his face.

"Jaemin!" Nara exclaimed, immediately standing up. Jaemin quickly took another picture, blinding her once again.

Na Jaemin was a photographer, a Five. He lived in the castle along with his parents, both who were good friends with Nara's parents. Apparently Jaemin's mother was in her father's selection, good friends with the Queen. When Nara's mother became queen, she insisted that Jaemin's family move in with them at the castle, hiring them to work for Illea's Capital Report.

Growing up, Jaemin was probably the only thing Nara had who wasn't royalty. Although Jaemin had attended regular school while Nara was taught in the palace, they still often played together. When they grew older, Nara and Jaemin's friendship grew as well, making Jaemin like a brother to her.

"You don't look too shabby, princesss." Jaemin said, showing her the picture he took. Nara had to admit, it would have been a nice photo if her mouth wasn't open, yelling Jaemin's name.

"Delete that!" Nara exclaimed as Jaemin giggled. Upon seeing her glare, he quickly followed her orders, showing her that he did in fact get rid of the photo.

Nara watched as Jaemin slung his camera to the side, a serious look on his face. "I heard you're having a Selection."

"Did you peek at the script again?" Nara said, eyeing her friend. A sheepish smile appeared on Jaemin's face as he scratched his neck, looking down.

"Yeah, it's kind of hard not to when I'm the one preparing it." Jaemin confessed. Nara let out a sigh.

"Hopefully, it'll help settle the uneasiness in the country." Nara said. Jaemin shrugged his shoulders.

"I'm not complaining. That just means I'll get some real friends." Jaemin said, giving her a smirk. Nara held in the urge to smack him, knowing that her mother was watching. Instead, she narrowed her eyes at him.

"Are you saying that I'm not good enough for you?" Nara asked. Jaemin looked around before leaning forward to whisper in her ear.

"I just want some normal people, you know." Jaemin immediately pulled away, running out of the women's room before Nara could reply. Nara wanted to chase him down, but instead, a worker came in, calling her and her mother to the report room.

I'll get you next time. Nara thought as she followed her mother out.

...

Nara watched from her seat of the officials gave their updates and reports, patiently waiting for her turn. Eventually, Beomseok called her name, and she plastered a large smile on her face as she made her way to the seat beside him, the cameras capturing her every move.

"Our lovely Princess Nara, I believe you have some news for us today." Beomseok said, after they had exchanged greetings.

"Yes, I do." Nara said, recalling all the Heeyoung and her parents had taught her about public speaking.

"With each passing day, I become older and wiser as I prepare to be the next ruler of Illea, but this is indeed a daunting task, one I cannot do alone. I believe that I should begin my journey to find my partner, one that will be by my side through the rest of my life." Nara took a deep breath before smiling at the camera.

"I will be having my very own Selection." A small applause filled the room, lead by Beomseok. Once everyone had settled down, Nara continued.

"Tomorrow, letters will be sent to all eligible young men in Illea. You will have two weeks to decide whether you will compete for my hand. I look forward to meeting the next Prince of Illea and hope that the country will celebrate with me." Nara gave Beomseok one last glance before standing up, curtsying to the cameras before making her way to her seat.

Judging by the looks on her parent's faces, they were both proud of their daughter.

Well, guess there's not turning back now.

———————————————————————————

Hello :)