Chapter 4

Nara desperately wanted to talk to her best friend but Jaemin had been whisked away by the countless advisors and Nara herself was busy finishing up the final preparations.

She rubbed her temples as she sat in her own study, memorizing the names to the faces of the Selected.

"Jung Jaehyun of Waverly. Two. Bowler." Nara said to herself, staring at the male. He was three years older than her and quite handsome. I hope his personality is as good as his looks. Nara thought.

She picked up the next one. "Lee Jeno of Clermont." Nara couldn't help but smile as she looked at Jeno's face. The boy had a nice eye smile, one that could melt hearts. She flipped the picture to read his profile. "Two. Actor." No wonder. Nara recognized his face as he had starred in many movies. He was also the same age as her and Jaemin.

Suddenly the door opened and slammed shut. Nara looked up to see Jaemin, out of breath, leaning on the door.

"Are you okay?" Nara asked her friend. Jaemin shook his head, making his way towards her desk.

"The reporters are driving me insane." Jaemin exclaimed as he tried to catch his breath. Nara motioned to the couch in front of her, which Jaemin gladly sat on. He took the jug of water and poured himself a glass, gulping half of it down.

"And the advisor asks so many questions that are so damn personal!" Jaemin added.

"Like if you've lost your virigintiy?" Nara asked. She put her hand up as Jaemin almost spat his water out.

"How'd you know?" Jaemin asked. Nara gave him a look.

"You think I don't know about the rules." Nara scoffed. Jaemin ignored her, continuing to drink the water before staring at the picture in her hands.

"Isn't that Lee Jeno?" Jaemin asked. Nara nodded.

"You know him?" Nara asked.

"Ish. Quite popular in the film industry." Jaemin told her.

"Really?" Nara said, raising an eyebrow. Jaemin nodded.

"Good personality and acting skills. A lot of directors said they enjoyed working with him." Jaemin told her as he sipped his water.

"Nice to know." Nara said, placing the photo down. She eyed the boy in front of her who had now relaxed as he sat on the couch. "Why did you apply for my Selection? I know you don't want my hand in marriage."

Jaemin chuckled before looking at her. "Do you want to hear the real answer or the one that you want to hear?" Jaemin asked her.

"Both answers are the same." Nara replied, leaning back in her seat.

"Fair enough." Jaemin said, placing the glass of water down. "It was a bet."

"A bet?" Nara said, unconvinced. Jaemin nodded.

"You know the Prince of New Asia?" Jaemin said.

"The one that doesn't know how to dance and would much rather crush my toes?" Nara asked. Jaemin rolled his eyes.

"Yes, that one. When he came over that time, we were joking about the possibility of you having a Selection so we made a bet that if you did, I would have to enter." Jaemin told her.

"And if you didn't?"

"I'd have to drink a strawberry yogurt drink." Nara glared at him.

"You think competing for my hand in marriage is better than that?" Nara exclaimed.

"Listen you know my hatred for that awful abomination!" Jaemin yelled back.

"Whatever, what does he have to do now?" Nara asked. Jaemin giggled to himself before answering.

"Speak in a british accent the entire time he's here." Jaemin told her. Boys, I'll never understand them. Nara thought before staring at the photos in front of her. She picked up Jaemin's.

"Should I just send you home on the first day then?" Nara asked him, showing him his picture. Jaemin shrugged.

"I don't really care but I think my familly would appreciate if you kept me around for a few weeks." Jaemin confessed. Right, the compensation.

"I guess we'll see how it goes." Nara said, getting up from her seat.

"Wait, where are you going?" Jaemin asked, standing up to follow her.

"To the washroom, are you going to follow me?" Nara asked, challenging the boy. Jaemin's face immediate contorted his face in disgust.

"Ew, don't ever say that again." Jaemin said as Nara laughed, opening the door to leave her study.

...

Nara looked out the window of her study, eyeing the boys in black suits entering the palace. One of them suddenly looked up and she immediately backed away, closing the curtains. Phew, that was a little too close for comfort. Nara thought before smoothing the dress she wore.

The dress was short and light pink, an off shoulder dress. It made Nara look soft and delicate, an image she felt was much better than the one she was expecting tomorrow morning.

Tomorrow morning was the interviews, where she would meet her suitors for the first time. Nara didn't want to say that she was picky, but she had a feeling that she wasn't going to get along with many of them. The King had told her that she could eliminate as many as she wanted whenever, as he himself had eliminated eight after the first night since he had felt no connection with them. Nara didn't want to be harsh, but even her mother had hinted that some of the men were not suited to be the next ruler.

Sending the Selected home after the first day was a risky move. It showed that she was firm and good at making decisions but at the same time, it could give her a harsh and intimidating image as well.

Nara sighed as she took one last peek through the curtain before making her way out of the study.

Nara didn't get far though as the second she turned from the door, she bumped into someone wearing a black suit.

The boy's hands immediately held her waist to support her, preventing her fall as he mumbled a curse to himself.

Nara's eyes widened as she stared into his deep brown eyes, immediately recognizing the face of one of her Selected.

———————————————————————————

Who is it? 🤔