Chapter 7

Nara wondered how long it would take for the boys to realize that fourteen of them were no longer there with them as she worked on a budget report in her study.

Nara could hear the music coming from the ballroom, blasting throughout the palace as the boys completed their dance lesson. She sighed as she stared at the report in front of her, surpressing the urge to join the boys inside the ballroom.

By the time Nara had finished the report, it was late into the afternoon. The men would be having their free time now, most likely exporing the castle.

Nara put her pen down, handing her report off to a maid to give to her father before heading out of her study. She was surprised by how quiet the palace seemed to be. Perhaps the men are relaxing in their rooms. The dance lesson must have been exhausting.

As Nara made her way to the centre of the garden maze, she noticed a boy sitting in front of an easel, painting the fountain. Nara was impressed at the progress he had made, knowing that their free time had only started an hour ago. During that time, Renjun had somehow found the centre of the maze, set up the easel, sketched the landscape, and had began painting.

"Renjun?" Nara said as she approached him. Renjun put down his paintbrush, giving the princess a faint smile before standing up to greet her.

"Hello, your highness." Renjun said before sitting back down. Nara glanced at his painting.

"How did you find the centre of the maze?" Nara asked him. Renjun pointed to the palace.

"The balcony of my room is above the maze, so I sketched it and found the way to the centre." Renjun said, passing her a sketch of the maze.

"I also had a bit of help from Jaemin." Renjun added, motioning to the boy taking pictures of the flowers. Nara was surprised to see Jeno by Jaemin's side.

"Did the three of you come together?" Nara asked. Renjun nodded.

"It was Jaemin's idea. I told him that I wanted to paint the garden and he told me he would come with me. Jeno also wanted to tag along. I probably wouldn't be this close to finishing my painting if the other two didn't help carry my stuff." Renjun admitted.

Nara nodded, taking in his words. She glanced at the easel in front of him. "You have such a lovely talent."

"I mean, I do paint for a living." Renjun said with a chuckle. He glanced at Nara before picking up his paintbrush again.

"Do you enjoy painting landscapes or portraits more?" Nara asked as she watched him paint. She had to admit, Renjun's movements were light and graceful, each stroke done with perfection.

"To be quite honest, landscapes. But unfortunately, people are more interested in portraits these days." Renjun said with a sigh.

"Ah, well you're always free to paint the landscapes of the palace gardens during your freetime." Nara told him. Renjun hesistated before shaking his head.

"I wish I could paint more, but unfortunately, I only brought one canvas." Renjun confessed.

"Oh, that isn't not a problem. Let my know what size canvas you need and I will make sure you have it." Nara told him with a smile. Renjun stopped painting to look up at her.

"Really?" Renjun asked, a shimmer in his eyes. Nara nodded.

"Thank you, your highness." Renjun said, standing to give her a bow. Nara let out a small laugh before motioning to him to sit down.

"I believe you have a talent Renjun, and I don't want it to go to waste." Nara told him just as a loud fit of laughter errupted from the two other boys. Renjun must have noticed her glance over at them.