1.4

IT'S CAROLINE'S BIRTHDAY and she's not at school

IT'S CAROLINE'S BIRTHDAY and she's not at school. That's how Enoch knows that something is wrong. Every year on Caroline's birthday her friends decorate her locker and make a big deal about it, as they should. Enoch assumed that it had something to do with the rumors of her break-up, so him and Ingrid decided to go to her house. She wasn't home so they went in through the window. Which okay is technically breaking and entering but who really cares. Not Enoch! They were in her bedroom when they heard voices. They walked out to see Elena, Bonnie and Matt standing there with signs talking to Caroline, who just walked in, about why she doesn't want to celebrate her birthday.

"Yeah, and now, it's just a reminder that technically, I'm dead. Look, I didn't even like 17. And the only point to being 17 is to get to 18. It's a filler year; I'm stuck in a filler year," Caroline said.

"You're not stuck, Caroline," Elena said

"Yeah I am, but it's okay. You know, it's all good, I'll be fine. But I just need some time to wallow in it," Caroline replied.

"Okay, well I think I have another idea." Before they left Ingrid walked up to Caroline and gave her a hug.

"I get it more than anyone else, but hey look on the bright side," Caroline looked at her confused as Ingrid put her hands on her shoulder and said, "You are young. You are sweet. You are seventeen. You are... the dancing queen." Caroline laughed and then they left.

•—•

They end up at the Fell Tomb and this creeps Ingrid out a little because these are her ancestors. She's about to drink with her dead ancestors. Weird. They have a whole little funeral for Caroline and it's great. Until it isn't. Caroline texted Tyler and Elena judged her for it.

To which Bonnie replied with, "Give her a break! You can't control what everyone does all the time." As it turns out Elena had Jeremy compelled to leave town and honestly Enoch agreed with Bonnie. It's not cool to force your brother to leave like that by mind controlling him. Elena and Bonnie argue and then Bonnie leaves. And then the douchebag shows up.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to crash the party," he said.

Matt quickly replied with, "So don't."

"I'm with Matt here. You should leave, dickhead." This caused Tyler to look at Enoch who sneered.

"No, it's okay," Caroline said, "Hi."

"Can I talk to you for a sec? It's kind of important."

"No," Enoch said, but Caroline ignored him and left. Elena and Matt started talking and Ingrid noticed that they were almost out of alcohol so they offered to go get some, so they went off walking leaving Matt and Elena in the creepy ass tomb.

"Are you okay?" Enoch asked and grabbed her hand, "You've been awfully quite."

"Yeah I'm just think about how I'm never gonna age. It's weird, ya know?" Ingrid looked at him sadly, "You're gonna grow old without me."