The Captured Rat

Outside the Garnet Palace,a white-haired man have just exited the Emperor's office from his audience with the cold ruler.A youthful version of the man walked comfortably besides him.Both of them discussed the details of their meeting with the Emperor casually as they entered the main palace's garden to the exit.However,they encountered someone else amidst their discussion.

Arius smiled politely as he greeted the two members of the imperial family. "Blessings and glory upon the Obelian Empire,Prince Consort Ezekiel.Duke Alpheus."

The duke's face visibly changed and stiffened while his son nodded in acknowledgment at the magician's presence.It already spread far and wide in the empire that 'a young prodigal magician from the east' was able to heal the Emperor all by himself,a feat that even the group of the best magicians of Black Tower can't achieve.The blonde youth managed to gain a massive amount of respect and honour from the Emperor and the entire empire just a few weeks from his first arrival in capital.

That is an achievement that no other nobles could ever achieve if not for their long ancestral line that had serve and contribute to the Obelian Empire in its founding even for Roger himself.

To think that an ordinary commoner could achieved such a high recognition from the imperial family itself is a miracle that occurred once in a century.

"Where are you heading to,Sir Glemt?"Ezekiel questioned the teenager curiously.Ever since Jennette expressed her desire to take the blonde as her own,the young warlock clearly avoided both of them and put more distance than usual.His smile used to be polite and friendly but it became increasingly strained and awkward in the present whenever he has no choice but to greet them.

Arius maintained his smile. "I am heading to attend an invitation from His Majesty.It looks like both the Crown Princess and Prince Consort are quite busy these days and asked me to entertain him during His Majesty's private tea time,"answered the warlock as he silently observed the duke in amusement.

Roger's face contorted slightly at the answer.The Emperor seems to like the youth more than he thought.With the magician often hanging around the Emperor,it will be harder for him to get rid of the younger blonde.

Not to mention,the assassins he send to kill Arius did not return and simply vanished into thin air after the night they supposed to carry out the attempt.It was supposed to be an easy thing to do as Roger knew the insides of the palaces and the schedule of the guards ever since Ezekiel married to Jennette.He himself monitored the rotating shifts of the knights when Jennette needed help to manage the palaces when Claude was laying comatose on the bed.

It went without saying that the warlock's presence is a sharp thorn in his plan to raise in power in the empire.His presence in the Imperial City posed a huge threat to him and Anastacius as Claude is getting better with the youth's help.His alarmingly escalated fame among the nobility and common folk also make it harder to get rid of without triggering any suspicion.

The white-haired imperial consort simply nodded. "Then I supposed I should not stand in your way.Please tell me if there is anything I can help with in the future.You are important to us,afterall." The hidden meaning of Ezekiel's words did not miss Arius as he knew who is 'us' in the consort's sentence.

It certainly did not mean the Emperor.

"Yes.I will certainly take on your offer if necessary.I will excuse myself first,Your Highness,"answered Arius calmly as he intended to resume his way to the Emperor's office.

"Please take care of yourself more,Sir Glemt.Jennette wished to invite you to a tea party in her private garden these few days.I hope you will not worry her if she knew that you are working too hard for the sake of the Emperor's health,"continued Ezekiel confidently at the wizard's back.