Chapter 19

I was waiting by my locker for my friends to arrive. Blake couldn't pick me up because he had to come early to meet the coach for the upcoming match. I guess the news about me and Blake got to everyone. I could tell that by the way everyone was looking at me. Cassandra and her minions were approaching, but what shocked me was that she didn't even spare me a glance or pick up a fight like she used to. Is this real? Am I hallucinating?

"Close your mouth before you catch a fly," Emma teased, playfully shutting my mouth.

"What were you looking at?" Jessie asked

"I guess the news about me and Blake together reached everyone."

"Yes, we can see that. It's the hot topic of the school right now," Ella chimed in.

"But Cassandra and her minions just passed by. They didn't even spare me a glance. This doesn't feel good. Something bad is about to happen. It's like the calm before the storm," I reasoned.

"That's weird, though. She is never like that," Emma remarked, making a puzzled face.

We went to classes as the bell rang. I found myself missing Blake; I hadn't seen him since the morning. Just then, my phone beeped.

Jerk - Miss me?

Me - You wish, Lanter.

Jerk - Oh. But I miss you. :(

Lunch came sooner, and we were all stuffing our faces with food. Finally, I got to see Blake. He had his arm around me, and I rested my head on his shoulder. Cassandra and her minions took the seat in the middle where they usually sat with the boys. Despite everything, the boys had completely shifted to our table in the corner. Yet, they still remained in the limelight.

Noah's sudden insight into the situation drew everyone's attention.

"Is it just me, or can everyone see it?" he pondered out loud.

"What?" Matt inquired.

"Cassandra made her grand entrance, witnessed these lovebirds in action, and not a single reaction. Isn't that weird?" Noah scratched his head, trying to make sense of it.

"Come on, let it go. This is not a cliché high school drama," I said, waving off the notion.

Everyone fell silent for a moment. "Can we go to the pops? I'm craving ice cream," I asked, more like whined.

"You sure you're not pregnant?" Parker's question made both Blake and me choke on our food.

"What?" I spluttered, a small blush creeping up on my cheeks.

"Omg, babydoll. Don't tell me..." Noah started.

"Finish that sentence, and I will kill you," I pointed my fork at him.

"Alright, alright." He raised his hands in surrender. All this time, Blake had a mysterious smile on his face. I raised my eyebrows at him, and he just shrugged.

"Come on. Let's go," Emma declared, breaking the awkward moment, and we all headed to the pops for some ice cream.

We sneaked out of the school and headed to the small ice cream shop nearby. This place was becoming our favourite hangout spot. After indulging in some delicious ice cream, we separated to head home.

"Sunshine," Blake called out as I turned around.

"Can you babysit Aria for me? Dad's out of town, and me and Mom need to be somewhere."

"Sure, I'll be there around 7." "Thank you," he said, kissing my forehead.

Once I got home, I had a quick snack and changed before heading over to Blake's. I informed Marta about it, and with a smile, I left for their place.

His house is not that far from mine, and I reached in 15 minutes. I parked my car and knocked on the door. When Blake opened it, my brain struggled to find the right words to describe him. He was looking so damn good that even my vocabulary took a vacation.

"Hey there," I managed to say, trying not to sound too awestruck.

"Like what you see?" Blake whispered in my ear.

"In fact, yes. You look quite different in a suit," I replied with a mischievous smile, and he laughed it off.

We were all seated in the living room. Tessa came down looking just as good. Now I know where he got his looks. Aria was skipping behind her, adding an extra dose of cuteness to the Lanter family charm. The Lanter genes were clearly doing wonders.

"You look beautiful," I complimented her.

"Thank you so much, Crystal." She gave me a warm hug.

"Be good, Aria. Don't trouble Crystal," Tessa instructed her daughter.

"If you want anything to eat, it's in the kitchen. If anything happens, call us immediately..." she started rambling.

"Don't worry. I will take care of everything," I assured her. Tessa then left, saying goodbye to both of us.

Blake gave his sister a kiss and a hug, telling her to be a good girl. He then hugged and kissed me on the forehead before he left.

After they departed, Aria retreated to her room. Despite my persistent attempts, she eventually emerged, choosing to watch cartoons in silence. Every inquiry I made was met with a mere nod or a brief, curt reply. It was evident that something was amiss.

"Aria," I lowered myself to her eye level, feeling like the protagonist in a heartwarming indie film. In the briefest of moments, a flicker of trepidation danced in her eyes.

"Look at me. I won't hurt you. Whatever is troubling you, you can tell me. I'll protect you, just like your brother." I reassured her, but she remained unconvinced. Eventually, she started speaking.

"I... I'm scared of you," her voice trembled.

"Why?" I inquired.

"I'm afraid you'll hurt me, like she did." A shiver ran through her words, leaving me wondering: who was she referring to? Who had hurt her?

"Aria, sweetheart, please, you have to tell me what happened," I implored.

"Blake, he... he brought a girl here. She looked at me, and the words she said... she said I was ugly. Then, she... she pulled my hair and hit me. She made me promise not to tell anyone," tears welled up in Aria's eyes, each word a heavy burden. My heart sank, witnessing her pain.

"Oh, Aria," I murmured, pulling her into a gentle embrace. "I am so sorry that happened to you. You're not ugly; you're the most beautiful, strong girl. No one should ever treat you that way."

Oh my God, who did Blake bring here? Was it Cassandra? I wondered.

I swiftly pulled out my phone and displayed a picture of Cassandra to Aria. "Was it her?" I asked, and she nodded.

The truth hit me like a tidal wave of anger and disbelief. Clenching my fists, I couldn't fathom how someone could harm an innocent soul like Aria. My mind raced with thoughts of confronting Cassandra, giving her a piece of my mind for what she had done to this fragile child.

"Aria, you don't have to be scared anymore. I won't let anyone hurt you. Blake and I are here for you," I assured, my protective instincts surging as I vowed to shield her from any harm. A sense of determination settled within me to take the necessary steps to confront the situation.

"Are you hungry?" I asked, and she nodded. I quickly prepared some food for her.

She's such a sweet girl, unlike Blake, who can be a real jerk. Aria always carries a cute smile with her. The only commonality between her and Blake is their extreme cuteness. After she finished her dinner, we continued watching cartoons. Later, she insisted I read her a bedtime story, and as I narrated, we both drifted off to sleep.