Chapter 20

Shinichi's POV

It's weekend now and no sign of Vermouth anywhere. It's both good and bad news because even though we got calm days, it could turned into nightmares anytime soon.

The camping is totally canceled because Agasa can't find the tent anywhere in the house and as a replacement, Sonoko took us to the Tropical land along with Ran. At first I wasn't agree to take Haibara to an open place like this, but then again it's better than watching her inside those lab the whole day. She needs a day off. As a precaution, Akai-san would keep his eyes on us, along with Hattori for he is bored to death.

"Explain", Haibara suddenly said in a quiet voice from my left side. We were standing in a long queue for Roller coaster ride while the kids are buying the drinks with Agasa.

"Huh? What?"

"Why do I have to be here when I need to finish my work back home."

"Ah, this. Consider today as your day off before the chemicals turn you into an old lady."

"I thought you think I'm an old lady already."

"You said you're eighteen. And I'm not in the mood for teasing you today, and absolutely not about your age." I said with a grin on my face.

"My, thank you for your consideration."

"Are you tired, Ai-chan?" I almost forgot that Ran was standing right behind us.

"She's okay, she's just in a bad mood today, Ran-Neechan." Out of habit, I covered her up. Come to think of it, it's not really necessary, ha-ha.

"It's okay, Nee-chan. Please don't mind me."

And to my surprise, she replied on that. That's rare. Before I said anything to her, the kids already back to the line.

We got our turn after half an hour or so. I took the seat next to Haibara in front of Ran and Sonoko. Haibara is as quite as ever that I constantly check on her, getting anxious of how she could somehow disappear into thin air.

The ride is on, and the excitement burst among the passengers. When we were running down from the highest point of the ride, I felt something reached my left hand. Haibara? I never knew she would afraid of something like this. The second peak is on and her grip is tightened, so I took her hand and entwined my fingers on hers.

We stayed like that for a few moments until she got her feet at the ground. The moment when she release her fingers off me, I felt somehow dissapointed. Maybe because I was worrying too much about Vermouth nowadays.

"Don't get me wrong, the sudden excitement was not good for my heart that I almost think I would lose my head at any moment back than. That's why I suddenly hold on to you."

"I don't mind that. Let's just sit down for a while, you look pale."

"Is Ai-chan alright?" It's Ran with her motherly nature as always. Sometimes I wonder if Haibara would have that kind of side on her, and then I would just ease that thought away. It would be scary. She better stayed the way she is now. Ha!

"Can you please watch over her for a moment, Ran-Neechan? I'm buying her a drink." Ran nodded in reply, and I turn to Haibara, "Wait here, don't go anywhere beyond my sight."

"How about we get lunch over there instead? So she could also have shelter. The sun is ridiculously burning here." Sonoko suggests.

"That's a good idea, Sonoko-Neechan. Let's go then, Haibara."

I took her hand, put a hat on her and lead her to the restaurant Sonoko suggested. The kids pestering her with questions that she doesn't bother to answer.