Story 9: Subaru Hoshiyomi

Synopsis:

Yuga's friend as well as his rival.

Holding the title of Ace of Study, he boasts to have claimed Top Scorer country wide.

Usually exuding a cool demeanor, with his love of acquiring knowledge, he constantly appeals to his spirit of enquiry and whenever things of great interest appear, he is unable to hide his excitement.

Also in the habit of astronomical observation, he has an amazing telescope and celestial globe in his room.

________________________________________________

This is no good.

He must be stopped.

This world no longer belongs solely to us Dragods.

What that villain is trying to do is a desecration of all forms of life.

But I don't have enough time.

I, who have had most of my power devoured by that villain, will soon cease to exist.

Before that happens, I must pass on our power to another.

I must find the most deserving warrior.

◇ ◇ ◇

"Cross Pair Slash... I could use this to destroy Time Ruler Dragon... No, I'd still need to destroy him one more time... Then maybe I could use it with Destruction Tactics and..."

[Subaru Hoshiyomi] was deep in thought as he laid his cards out on his desk.

Ever since he had suffered a major loss at the hands of [Kei Jinguji], the student president of World Buddy Academia, Subaru had spent every spare moment going over his own deck.

"Subaru, perhaps you should rest a little..."

Subaru's Buddy, [Cross] called out to him in concern.

"Thank you, Cross. But I'm fine."

"You say that, but it's been five hours since you came home from school."

"...You saw it too, didn't you, Cross? Student President Jinguji's true face. Eventually, the time will come when I have to fight him again. To prepare for that battle, we have to become much stronger than we are right now."

Subaru turned his attention to the cards on his desk again.

Cross didn't try to stop him. Although he was worried about Subaru, he could also understand Subaru's logic. The Buddyfight against Kei Jinguji had been that overwhelming. The difference in strength between them had been enough to convince him that there was no way that Subaru and Cross could win as they currently were.

Subaru and Cross both shared a desire to become stronger.

At that moment...

Suddenly, a voice echoed in both of their minds.

[Do you seek new strength?]

"...?! ...Cross, did you hear that?"

"Yes, I definitely heard it."

[If you seek strength, then open the gate.]

"Where is this voice coming from?"

"I sense a powerful energy coming from outside the house!"

"...Let's go, Cross."

"Yes, I'm with you all the way!"

Subaru gathered his spread-out cards and returned them to his deck case before bursting out of his room. He quickly put on his shoes and opened the front door.