Story 12: Mirror Hero, J "Gemclone Origin Cloak"

Synopsis:

A new hero who appeared in Hero World all of a sudden.

He surrounds himself in a shroud of mystery and takes on the appearance of a Dark Hero who previously sought to cause a revolution.

His cloak, Gemclone, is able to change into all kinds of monsters that he is able to imitate and materialize.

Gemclone is able to call out replicated heroes that dwell within the created artificial world, “Mirror World”, which exists within him.

―He who previously fell to greed. For his own ambition, his own greed, he sacrificed countless monsters.

Was it to face his sins and make up for them? In the end, what was his desire? He could only think of the corpses he personally produced. He could not come up with any answers. But he would move on. For he now has a partner that he can rely on.

________________________________________________

Scriii, scriii, scriii.

Shwshhh, shwshhh.

Under a cloudless sky, the cries of the gulls catching the wind as they flew and the sound of waves crashing on the shore intertwined.

It was a seawall like any other, nothing unusual about it at all.

Perched on this seawall was a man wearing a straw hat, silently gripping a fishing rod.

“…”

The man sat there every day, simply continuing to fish. Over time, he became well-known to the locals as “the fishing man” who was always at that spot.

But nobody knew the man’s identity.

Nobody knew where he had come from, and what he was doing here.

Nobody knew what he had done.

One day…

The man received his first visitor.

“Are ya havin’ fun fishing?”

The visitor said this quietly, as he sat down so that he and the fishing man were back to back. The visitor wore a woven bamboo hat of his own, pulled over his face so that his expression could not be seen.

“Were ya able to catch any fish? Ah, but I’ve heard that fishing is something where you enjoy the process rather than the results, so p’rhaps that was a tacky thing to ask.”

The fishing man remained silent, but the visitor didn’t seem to be bothered by that as he continued to talk.

“Y’see, I’ve sometimes thought it might be nice to just sit and fish for hours on end, but when it actually comes time to do it, my lack of knowledge makes it hard to get up the motivation to start. Put it another way, whenever you’re about to try something new, that first step feels mighty heavy. But, fer example, if there’s someone who’s willing to teach ya and show you the way, maybe that first step would feel an awful lot lighter, don’t ya think?”

The visitor paused for a breath, and then continued in a slow whisper.

“Whether it’s fishing. Or card games. Or life. Y’know?”

The fishing man’s shoulders twitched.

The visitor stood up, and turned towards the fishing man for the first time.

“Won’t you lend me your help, Boss [J. Genesis]? And little [Gemclone]. In order to revolutionize Hero World, I need help from both of ya.”

The man who had been fishing, J. Genesis, reeled in his line. As he did so, the fishing rod began to change before their eyes, transforming into a small dragon that seemed to be made of crystal.