chapter sixteen

Canada felt awkward sitting at his dining table while Rome (The Roman empire!) sat across from him happily munching on a snack cake.

"Mm! What are these called again?" Rome asked as he pointed to the snack cake.

Canada looked down at the black and white cake in Rome's hand before raising an eyebrow. "Zebra Cake..."

Canada's shotgun rested against the nearby wall behind him. Rome let out a happy little hum and continued to eat. Canada interlocked his fingers, lowered his head, and gazed at Rome with a mixture of wonder and confusion. ' Rome only comes around when Italy is in need of serious help... so, why the hell is he here?... Did Romano send him somehow?'

With a hard swallow; Canada sat up straight and breathed in a deep breath. "Man, if only they had these in my day!" Rome smiled and finished off his zebra cake.

"Rome... is there a reason you're here?" Canada finally asked and narrowed his eyes just slightly.

"Hm?" Rome looked at Canada for a moment with slightly alarming eyes before relaxing. He then smiled broadly at Canada in such a way that his teeth had a little sparkle to them. "Of course! I've come to see my lovely grandson! I was surprised to find out he wasn't at home or Germany's!"

"Uh-huh." Canada wasn't believing it. He put one leg over the other, crossed his arms over his chest, and leaned back into his chair. "Why do I find this hard to believe?" Why did Canada find this hard to believe? 'Because last time I saw him he was against us.'

"It's true! Rome gasped out loud. "He's not at Germany's or at his home!"

'the apple really doesn't seem to fall far.'

Canada sighed. "...Are you going to tell them?" Canada just cut to the chase.

"Tell them?-Oh! That you're both here, right that's a current issue!" Rome laughed rather heartily.

"Did Romano ask you to find us?"

"Oh Please, Caro! Us ancients don't get involved."

"Bullshit." Canada suddenly scoffed loudly. "You literally helped the Axis powers four times if I remember, and you helped Italy in 2012."

"Now. We don't get involved now."

Canada sighed loudly. "Alright then. Well, Italy is asleep at the moment."

"You seem rather protective of my grandson." Rome made an off-hand comment. It was bait; pure and simple, and Canada fell for it.

"Well, when you love something you're going to want to protect it, no?" Canada challenged back and then added: "But let's also remember the fact that you broke into my home."

Rome hummed absent-mindedly and leaned back in his chair. "You do make a good point. Those guns of today-" Rome looked at the shotgun behind Canada. "-Sure are fancy. If you were in my time you'd have to duel with swords or be quick enough with a dagger."

Canada rested his elbow on the table before placing his head on his open palm. 'ask if he has met her.' Canada thought for just a brief moment but then shook his head. It wasn't the time for that!

"For real, Rome. I'm not dumb. Why are you really here? Italy isn't in danger." Canada settled on asking.

Rome just smiled sweetly "You're both doing a bad thing, you know?"

"I knew it," Canada rolled his eyes, and leaned back in his chair. "We are aware that we're doing a bad thing, but... we just want to be together, yet alone, at least once."