19- Gunner (EDITED)

I cannot believe I left Aria alone, especially after BK's warning the night of the fight, what I did to him, and how he ended up in the hospital afterward?

What was I thinking?

All in all, I should have known better, particularly since we all know The Tormentor got the memo I'm looking for him. And now my ass is lucky he didn't take Aria away tonight to harm her. But who would have thought he'd show up in New York and at the event?

So if he knows I'm looking for him, why couldn't he have made his presence be known to me so we could talk?

It's a warning, that's why.

The Tormentor made his presence be known all right, but instead of facing me as a lionheart, he chose to be a coward by facing and threatening an innocent woman—Aria. That was his warning to me, for me to worry he knows who she is, and forewarning he isn't afraid of taking her from me.

For the coward to show up when and where he did was because he knew she'd be alone and he'd have time to say what he wanted to say while I was getting weighed. He knew his threat would get back to me, that it would upset me, and I'd get so worked up that when it comes to the night of the fight, I'd remember what happened to my father and Shelby and all I'd do would think and worry about Aria, causing me to lose the fight.

My eyes were on Aria nearly the entire time. So how did I miss him talking to her?

Shit.

Now that I think about it, there was a moment when I looked away from her to answer questions. The fucking Tormentor knows how the weigh-in process works and knew when the right time would be for him to scare her. I can't believe I let my guard down. And now, after hearing what was said to her, I wish more than ever I would've had Maxwell or Xavier standing with her.

Within a month, I got two warnings; she was next.

The Tormentor's message is clear. He'll face me, but it'll be on his terms when that is. So until then, he'll continue playing a game of hide and seek or cat and mouse, to torment me until I give up, coercing me to submit to him.

I'll never allow it to get that far.

No fucking way...

I stood from my seat, sat next to Aria, then wrapped my arms around her, bear-hugging her. "I'm so sorry," I expressed, regretting not being on my game as I have been. "I shouldn't have left you alone the way I did. I never thought he would be there, and had I known he planned on attending, the situation would have been much different," I struggled to say, thinking of what could've happened to her.

Instead of finishing the night I had planned for us, I feel more like going somewhere to let all my anger and frustrations out—somewhere, meaning a gym and one with a heavy bag.

"Gunner, I accept your apology. But don't you think it's time you fill me in on what's going on? I've been replaying this entire month I've spent with you in my head all night. You've said things I didn't think much of, but after being approached by who you call The Tormentor and how upset you got by him confronting me, it got me thinking about everything you've said, the things you've been making me do, and how persistent you are with me about locking my door. And now I realize there's a huge fucking meaning behind all of it."

"And, you're right, one-hundred percent, right," I acknowledged, looking away from her and over to the intercom. I stared at it for a minute, thinking, and after deciding what to do next, I hit the button. "Take us to the gym, please."

"Any specific one?" the driver asked.

"You know this area better than me, but preferably one where I can lose my temper to blow off steam and not have the law enforcement called."