35- Aria (EDITED)

I was running a bit late for work. I don't know what's going on with me this morning, but I had no ambition to get out of bed, and then, while getting ready to leave, I got lightheaded. So before deciding to call in, I laid on the bed a bit longer to make sure it wasn't something that would keep me in bed the rest of the day.

So, knowing how Walter is, I'm sure he'll call me out on being late the second I enter his room.

Walter shocked me when I entered his room. Instead of lying in bed as he usually is when I arrive, he was sitting at his table looking through his photo album. I've taken care of him long enough to know how he thinks and likes the attention I give him. I also know he enjoys playing his pranks on everyone who gives him the attention he seeks. So seeing where Walter was instantly had me wondering how much he fakes being physically handicapped.

He said nothing as I sat down on the other side of him. I couldn't tell if he was upset with me for being late or if he was just busy going down memory lane. I noticed he's been doing this more lately, and I felt sorry for him the longer I watched him intensely looking at the photos.

It also scared me—scaring me into thinking that he feels his time on earth is imminent and that he's finally preparing to be with his wife—something I don't want to think about. I know I'm greedy thinking about this, but I don't want him to leave. He's like the father I wished to have, so I want him here with me forever.

"Your late," Walter finally said as he flipped the page.

"I know. And I'm sorry. I couldn't seem to get myself motivated to do anything this morning," I sighed.

He looked up at me, stared at me for a few seconds, then looked back down at his photo album.

"How about we start our usual morning routine?" I asked, smiling while resting my hand over his. "Good morning Mr. Clayborn; how are we feeling today?"

"I see you're back to not listening again," he groaned.

"What do you mean? I always listen," I giggled, removing my hand from his.

He looked up and stared me in the eyes. "Not always. And if you were still listening, you would have called me by my first name. Which it's Walter..."

He seems awfully moody today; I wonder why?

"Is something the matter?"

He flipped the page and then pointed to a picture of his wife. "She's what's the matter. I miss that ole biddy; she may have annoyed me at times, but that's why I loved her."

I had a feeling he was missing her and squeezed his hand. "I know you loved her, and I know you still do as much as you act not to. You'll see her again someday."

He chuckled while closing the album. "If she were to see me again, do you know what she would say to me?"

I shook my head no but guessed, anyway. "She'd say, Oh Walter, I'm so happy to see you; it's about time you come home to me," I smiled.

"Nope. That would not be it. Her exact words would be, oh shit, not you again."

I laughed. "I doubt your wife would say that. Once she sees you, I'll bet she'll grab and pull you in for a long and passionate kiss—telling you how much she's missed you."

"The only time I'd ever get a kiss like that from her was if I were to have dreamt it," he smirked, then shook his head. "I'm kidding. It would be nice to feel her lips on mine again finally. Anyway. Enough about me... have you surprised Gunner with those blueprints yet?"

I smiled. "I did."

"And?"

"He loved what you came up with."