Chapter One

Meeting Kang Hyunggu, or Kino, was both the best and worst thing that has ever happened to me.

I met him at the age of 18 when I'd just started college. He was the first of ten men that I'd met that completely changed my life. You see, Kino had a gift. Well, some would say it was a gift, others would say it was a burden. I believed the latter. It messed him up quite a bit, and watching him go through what he did was horrible. I was constantly worried about him and other people because of it.

There was a serial killer running around that year on campus.

At the beginning of the college year, I was new and very nervous to be starting at a new school, surrounded by new people. All of the freshmen felt that way though. I had been in the hallway, and, as cliche as it sounds, I ran into someone and dropped the notebooks that I had been holding. I sighed and bent down to retrieve the fallen notebooks, but before I could someone was already grabbing them. I look up to see who it was.

And I was immediately in love.

Well, 'in love' is a strong phrase. There's a difference between 'loving' someone and being 'in love' with someone. On top of this, I had never been a strong believer in 'love at first sight'. But seeing this guy and noticing how warm and caring his eyes were and noticing the perfect curve of his lips and his sharp jawline and his dark hair was like a roller coaster in the span of two seconds.

I was in love, and I really mean it.

"I'm so sorry," he said. "I didn't mean to run into you."

"It's ok," I choked out. "It was my fault."

"No, it wasn't." He gave me a warm smile. My heart pounded faster. He had a very sweet smile. I stood up and he handed me the notebooks. I take them, blushing a little.

"Thank you," I said.

"No problem," he had said.

Then he walked away.

I watched him go. Even his walk was attractive. Was that even possible? I wasn't sure.

I looked at my class list and started toward Algebra 101. It was in the same building, thankfully. I started walking in the direction that the guy had. Did I look for him in the hallway? Maybe. Like I said, I was in love.

I know it sounds stupid and naive, but when you know, you know.

I ended up in a room at the end of the hallway. I quickly found a seat toward the back. My hair was hanging around my face, blocking my peripheral vision. I heard a laugh next to me and I quickly glanced out of the curtain of hair.

There they were again. Those kind, caring eyes. There was something else there too...pain? Mystery? Was this fate?

"Wow, long time no see," he said.

"Yeah," I replied, laughing a little. He twirled a pencil with his fingers. Cute.

"Aren't you going to ask me for my name?" He asked me. I put my hair behind my ear, giving him a small smile.

"What's your name?"

"Wow, I'm so glad you asked," he joked. "My name is Kang Hyunggu." I remember looking at him in shock and he laughed at my wide eyes. "I know that's a mouthful. People just call me Kino."

"Oh," I said, chuckling awkwardly. "I'm Eden."

"Nice to meet you, Eden," Kino said. "That's a very pretty name." I remember my heart skipping a beat when he said that.

"Thank you," I said. "I like your name too."

"Which one?" He asked, smiling a little.

"Both," I replied. He nods, giving a smooth wink.

"Good answer."

I bit my lip, scribbling on the front of one of my notebooks. I could still feel Kino's eyes on me during that moment. It had been intense.

"So what are you studying?" Kino asked me.

"Psychology," I replied. Kino nodded.

"I can see you doing that." I looked at him with my eyebrows narrowed then, trying not to focus on his gorgeous eyes or his beautiful smile or his silky black hair.

"Really? You've just met me."

"Well, you just have that energy to you. You look like someone who is very quiet and reserved but secretly you care for a lot of people," Kino explained. My heart had been pounding in my ears so loud I was sure that Kino could hear it too.

"Well, I mean..." I exhaled sharply. "I don't know, maybe." He smiled at me again.

The bell rang before I got the chance to ask him about his major and the teacher was already in the class, closing the door behind him. I turned away from Kino and faced the front of the room. He chuckled a little, but did the same.

I didn't think about Algebra one time that whole hour.

Once the bell rang again, I packed up my things and stood up. "What's your next class?" Kino asked me. I looked at him in shock and handed him my schedule. He read it over. I watched his eyes scan the page. Those beautiful eyes...

"We don't have any other classes together, but we need to go to the same building, then come back in two hours. Maybe we could walk together then." I remember the inability to breathe in that moment.

"S-sure." I couldn't stop myself from stuttering. He grins.

"Want to meet at the exit doors after our next class?"

"OK," I replied.

"Alright, let's go," Kino said.

We walked across campus to the art building. I then asked him what his major was and he said he was majoring in music. I told him that was very cool and how I was taking a painting class in the art building. We went back and forth, asking questions. The more I talked to him the more I fell for him. Once we got to the building and had to part ways, he reminded me to meet him at the doors. I told him OK and started toward the painting class.