Chapter seventeen

You guys are so lucky I am on thanksgiving break(;

The truth is, there is still alot of story for me to tell and I want to get done with this book by the New Year. That way I can start my next for sure big project  (:

I hope you guy's enjoy the upload, it's not as spicy as the other one, but I still like it because I just love Mia and Kelsey together.

Anyways, here it is and i hope you enjoy it!

Love always!

- NIckyMb <3

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

“If I didn’t know any better, It would seem like you were avoiding me.”

I look up from the shakespeare book I was reading and look across the library table to find Nick standing there, hand wrapped around his brown shoulder bag, blonde hair flying everywhere..

Smiling, I fold the top end page of my book and close it.

Nick takes that as an invitation to sit  and I watch as he pulls out a chair on the opposite side and sits down. When he unzips his bag and starts to take things out from the mess inside, I answer his question.

“I haven’t been avoiding you. I just have been busy lately. First, our professor decided to assign us another Shakespeare book while we are still on A Midsummer's Night Dream. Then, in chemistry, I have this project that’s due and I haven’t even started it yet.” I made a mental note to mention the project the next time I saw Julio and hurried to get his name off of my mind.

Ever since that night two days ago in the bar, he has been the one thing my mind has kept coming back too. I’ve been in this situation before, as everybody already knows, and I was scared to think about it.

But most of all, why would Julio like a girl like me? I was just some stuck up, normal girl who really didn’t do anything special. 

Well, to some people I was far from average but in the inter-working world of Julio, I wasn’t even on his standard.

That night, would always be one of the most amazing nights I could think of. Sure, I planned on having many more night, but so far that night with Julio topped anything. If I think too much about it, I can almost feel the way his hands guided up my waist and down my thighs.

I knew I still owed him nights, but I knew the next ones couldn’t come close to what happened at that bar. Next time he or I touched in a way that was anything beyond friendship, I would make sure to make the boundaries clear.

I wasn’t ready for a broken heart.

Sighing, I wipe all those thoughts on Julio away and look over at Nick. He smiles as he shoves his pencil behind his ear, slicking his hair back.

“Since you aren’t avoiding me, may I ask you a question.” Fingering the edge of my book, I give him a weary look. Usually when people asked questions they generally wanted an answer.

“Sure.”

He twirls the pencil behind his hair, making his blond hair go around it, and sends me a shy smile. My heart speeds up a little at that smile. Over the years I have given plenty of guy’s that smile and plenty have given me it back.

Meeting his light blue eyes, Nick finally breaks the tension in the air.” As you know the college is hosting the Halloween games this Saturday and I was wondering, if, ah, you would like to go with me.”

 I watch, a little awed, as Nick looks quickly away from me and to the table. When I don’t answer right away, he pulls the pencil from behind his ear and his cheeks turn pink.

     “But, if you don’t want... want to go,” He stutters, running his fingers along the pencil in his hand.

“Then you don’t have to go. I mean, it was just an idea.” His adam's apple moves with the force of his swallow and I take that moment to bring in a deep breath.

Why was he hesitating? It wasn’t as if he said it was a date. It was just two friends going out and doing something for their college.

What would one night be anyways? But for some reason, the way he sat there, cheeks red and hands nervously playing with the pencil, it suddenly felt more than that.

For some reason, Julio pops in my head. If he asked me to go to the invent would I go? I shake my head. Julio would never be the kind of guy to go to anything like Nick was asking me to go too. He probably would rather bring some girl over the edge behind a dumpster.

Was that what I was? Some dumpster girl? I could never be the girl Julio wanted me to be and he can never be the guy I expected of him.

Why the hell was I even thinking this?! Just because I had, well, something for him didn’t mean it was going to become something big.

Julio had secrets. Secrets I wasn’t ready to venture into and didn’t know if I wanted too.

I realized my best route to the whole Julio thing was making a line.

A line I would never cross. I would keep these weird feelings to my self and make sure from now on everything I did with Julio be only business. Like I said, Julio would never go for someone like me, but friendship was something I was good at.

 But Nick?

I let out my breath and reach for the pencil in his hand. Nick tenses at the sudden movement and looks up in time to see me take the pencil from his hand and set it by my book. The fact that he was nervous was making me nervous.

“Okay,” I finally manage, “I’ll go with you.”

Nick beams at me and goes to stand up, gathering his stuff. I guess the only reason he sat in the first place was to ask me to the Halloween thing. Nick brings his bag back over his shoulder and his eyebrows go to his forehead.

“Oh, and if you need help with chemistry, I took it last year and I had to do the project thing too. You bloody Americans love your science. Come to Europe one day, you will find the best masterpieces of the world.”  I shake my head and laugh a little. Figured Nick would bring up England in a conversation.

The guy loved his country.

“I’ll hold you too that,” He gives me a little wink and when he goes to turn, he almost runs into a girl with messy blonde hair.

Turns out, that messy blonde hair’s owner was the one and only Mia. “Sorry,” Nick says, skirting around Mia and heading to the library's entrance. Mia watches him walk and turns to me with an eyebrow raised.

“For a girl who avoids love like it’s the plague, you sure work fast.” I roll my eyes and reach for my book. Mia kicks back a chair and lands in it, putting her feet on the edge of the table. She looks around and whistles softly.

“I sure in hell don’t miss working in the library. Once is enough, trust me.”

That brings memories of two summers ago when me and Kayla decided to sneak Mia out of the library and head to the nearest club.

I still think if it wasn’t for that night, and Aiden ending up at the same club, their love story never would have panned out.

“So,” Mia says, curling one of her straight pieces of hair around her finger.

“ Kayla sent me here to tell you when your next blind date was doing to be.” I groan and shut my book. It wasn’t like I was actually reading the words anyways.

“Mia, did you see what happened at my last date?!”

“What I remember,” She says, dropping her feat and scooting closer to me. “ Is you running out of that restaurant with a smile on your face. Oh, and I forgot to mention that you did go on a date that night. Just not with the guy Kayla and I picked.”

And there went the reason she came here in the first place.

After coming back to the dorms past curfew, I realized I was in some deep trouble. Without so much as a bye from Julio, I hopped of his death machine and dialed Kayla’s number. After about five calls, and her voice mail, she finally answered.

When I told her I needed her to distract the night watch so I could sneak in, she laughed for about ten minutes and hung up on me.

Though, after a ten minute debate and swearing she could wear my heels the next time we went out, she went to the dorm headmaster and put on the best show she could.

Mia and Kayla were still searching for details.

I give her a look and grab my bag off the floor. “I knew you weren’t here for a friendly chat. The fact is, nothing happened.”

“Right,” she says, watching me pack my stuff.

“ Sneaking in the dorm past curfew is nothing. I wasn’t born yesterday sweetheart.” Rolling my eyes again, I close my bag and stand up.

Mia follows my lead.

“Actually, believe it or not, something good could come out of this.” I push in my chair and Mia falls into step next to me, heading out of the library.

“And what’s that?!” I pull down my sleeves as the cold air hits my skin. I swear, everyday it got colder and colder.

Mia stops and puts her hand on my shoulder. Facing her, I watch as she looks around and then drops her voice.

“Aiden has been acting... weird lately. It’s not like he isn’t the same, he is, but it’s like ever since I learned about the whole money thing he’s been on edge.”

“Have you asked him?” When Mia doesn’t answer, I shake my head.

“Why don’t you ask him about it?” She bites her lip and tucks a piece of her hair behind her ear. She looks up at me with wide eyes.

“I’ve hinted at it, but he always steers the conversation away. That’s why I need your help.” I bring my finger out and point at my chest.

“I’m not going to ask him. I mean, Aiden seems like a good guy and all, but I don’t want any of that anger put on me. No thank you.”

Like a snake, Mia smacks my arms and rolls her eyes at my statement.

“ No, I meant something totally different. You and Julio have this thing, friends or not, you talk to him. He is Aiden’s best friend and I know he knows what’s going on. My plan is this: I hook you up with a blind date, the one you owe anyways, but I, Aiden, and Julio show up at the same spot. You will end up getting the ‘stomach flu’ and walk out. My best bet? Julio will be right on your heels.”

I thought the whole thing was pretty complicated, but like the best friend I am, I go along. “And how do you know Julio will follow me out? It’s not as if he actually cares if I have a stomach ache or not.”

Mia gives me a look as if I was stupid.

“Yeah, I’m sure you will be the last thing on his mind.”

But by the way she said, I knew she was thinking quite the opposite.

Sighing, I slumped my shoulders and just give in. There was no point fighting Mia when she has a plan set in motion. It was best just to join along for the ride.

“Okay, fine.” She squeaks a little and slings her arm around me. We start to head back to my dorm when she nudges me with her shoulder.

“So, bout this Nick thing.”

What was this?

Ask a Kelsey a million questions day?!

Mia must see the look on my face because she starts to laugh. I let out my breath and a little cloud forms in front of me.

“Nick is just a nice guy. A nice guy who decided to ask me to the Halloween event this Saturday.” Mia clicks her tongue comically.

“If you were Kayla, I would be worried.”

“When it comes to Kayla and guy’s you should be worried. That girl-” I let my sentence run off and I let Mia fill in the blanks. Lately Kayla has been going out more and more and getting back to the dorm later. I have no idea how she was doing in any of her classes and every time I asked, she brushed me off.

Believe or not, thanksgiving would be coming around the corner fast and when we went home for the holiday, our mother would be expecting only the utmost perfection.

 All I needed was for Kayla to at least try to reach good grades, but when it came to my mother, Kayla refused to live by her expectations.

I think it comes to the fact of our father. Kayla was a daddy’s girl through and through and I was the one that played the middle.

When our mother started to go hard on my father, arguing with him at every turn and driving him further and further away from the family, I think when he finally did leave, Kayla snapped.

She turned into the person I see now. Never following what anyone told her to do and living day by day the way she wanted too. The only morals she lived by were her own and that was all she needed.

I guess when father left, I needed to make our mother proud. She needed someone she could go to since my father wasn’t there and since Kayla wasn’t ready to stand up to the plate, that left me to deal with my mother's wrath.

My mothers expectations.

My mothers perfection.

Kayla was so lucky.

And she didn’t even know it.

Getting rid of any thoughts on Kayla or my mom, I stop in front of the entrance to my dorm and face Mia.

“So, about this date thing. When do you plan on executing it?” Mia gives me a devious smile and I knew that could only mean one thing.

“You don’t have class tomorrow, right?”

“No, but what does that...”

I trail off when I realize what she was asking. She wanted to go on the blind date tomorrow night. Which meant, I would have to face Julio a lot sooner than I wanted too.

Go freaking figure.