05-I-mmense Lamentation

Once they settled in nicely inside, some of us headed out to secure the area. I stayed behind because we need the older kids to take care and tend to the younger kids as well. We have a wounded Chris that has been in bad condition ever since the attack. 

"Anna, do you have the herbs Mujika gave us?" I asked her while analyzing his wounds. 

"No, we ran out just today." Anna opened her pouch. Damn it, I was planning on growing and looking for some but completely forgot everything about it as time goes. His wounds aren't closing yet, and his breath is still very off. 

"_______, we are also running out of medicine for the wounded if this continues." Anna told me worriedly. Medicines, we need them. 

"Zack, how much more medicine is available in our stash?" I asked the older boy that has been tending to his scars earlier. 

"Dangerously low from the looks of it. We didn't have time to pack the ones in the shelter because of the sudden attack." he clicked his tongue. 

"_______." Emma interrupted my train of thoughts. She looked at me with a sad distressed look in her eyes as she shook her head. Lucas and Yugo. 

"They... They didn't make it didn't they?" I slowly tried to get the words out. 

"I-I'm afraid so. We just saw an explosion and smoke rose from the shelter's location." She seemed to enter a mournful state after witnessing such a scene. I quickly got up and hugged her as tight as I can, 

"It's fine Emma, let's-let's cry our hearts out. Let it out, it's fine. Their sacrifices aren't in vain, all of us are safe. Yugo and Lucas did not blame you or everyone of us. They want us to keep living to continue their legacy." I felt tears streamed down my eyes by every word I said. 

"Now Emma, what matters is the next step we have to make after we make that decision." I remembered Yugo's words when we were performing surgery on Emma and I hesitated on almost everything. Yugo, I hope you and Lucas are in a better place now. We are going to survive, don't you worry. Goodbye our dearest mentor and our father figure.

After the news, the Glory Bell children seemed to be mourning for Lucas as well, he is after all an important figure for them as well as being a bright and good man of his own. 

"Help! I can't find Alice, Dominic and the other kids." It happened in a blur that I can't even remember who said that. 

"Are they not going to replenish water or heed to nature's call?" Emma asked. 

"No, I'm sure of it. Or else, the people keeping guard would know!" Oliver pointed out. 

"Let's go look for them." Ray readied his gun, I took my bow and arrows which was conveniently nearby along with my medicinal pouch and quickly tagged along. Screaming was heard in a distance and Ray immediately changed his sprint to the source of voice. I caught up to see Ray's hand outstretched signalling us to stop. To my horror, I saw Alicia being held against a gun like how Yugo did to Emma. The man holding the gun was no less frightening at all, he had half of his face being stripped off, that we are able to see his muscles and bones protruding out in the open. I inspected his wounds, it was caused by an intense third-degree burn. He got blasted. Yugo and Lucas! He was yelling something about us being mere food and doesn't deserve being free in the first place. He was taunting everyone to make a shot that we are unable to do and about how Yugo and Lucas died in vain, not being able to escape due to being weak. I can see Ray's anger overwhelming him however, Emma hesitated on making a shot. She can't do this, none of us had the willpower to, killing humans. Out of nowhere, a fire was shot, the sound of a bullet whizzing through the air, and completely severed his arm off the gun he was holding. Oliver's gun emitted smoke from the gunpowder, he had a clear shot and he made it. His resolve was steeled on his eyes the minute this maniac mentioned Lucas. Alice got off, I managed to snatch her into safety. However, Dominic was wounded from gunfire and was unable to move that far from him. Suddenly, catching all of us off guard, a wild demon appeared through the dark forest disguising itself amongst the trees, probably came because of the shots and the yelling this maniac did. It leapt through the air, and it could eat the maniac for all I care. But, Dominic was also within the radius. Emma, being quick to react, quickly engulfed him in her arms, and whisked them away from danger. We made a good run not even sparing any glance at that maniac, Andrew, behind us. 

That night we rested, feeling dreadful and grungy. I couldn't quite close my eyes just yet for I still need to keep an eye on the injured and sick. 

"________, Zack, you can go to rest now, I'll stay up and watch over them." Anna groggily sat up and rubbed her eyes. 

"Are you sure, Anna?" I asked her. 

"I'm pretty sure she can deal with it. She spent almost everyday learning about this the past year." Zack reassured me and handed me a blanket. I felt my eyes grew heavier each passing moment and I fell into a deep slumber. It felt like only a brief moment until I was being woken up by the shaking. 

"What happened?" I sat up abruptly feeling a little light-headed and disoriented. 

"Emma and Ray returned with someone. I suppose you might want to see them." Gilda spoke before leaving me to collect myself. Before actually checking the guests Emma and Ray brought along, I decided to go check on Chris and Dominic. His breathing never really returned regularly, he was quite fine the other day though. I pressed my palm on his forehead, it's burning. His fever is acting up, and his condition took a turn for the worse. Quickly, I inspected the wound on his head. I'm pretty sure it's the infection. 

"Anna, take more water and give it to Chris as soon as possible." I told her before I rushed to Emma. 

"Emma, Chris' condition worsened. His breathing gets more irregular by day, his fever is acting up, at this rate, I'm afraid he might not survive this day if we do not have proper medicines." I said as Emma and Ray rushed to Chris. 

"We just ran out of antibiotics and medicinal supplies to combat his fever and fight those infections. I might stitch them back up, but we do not have proper anesthetic and sterilization equipment." Zack added and glanced worriedly. 

"_______, this is the water you asked." Anna came back with a bottle full of fresh water being boiled for sometime. Good. I immediately opened the lid and put the liquid inside Chris' mouth slowly. Water might help the body regulate itself. I hope it lowers down the fever and helped him feel better.