The Life After: Of High School and Drama

All the colours of autumn started to fade in comparison to its peak in the beautiful month of October. The air was gradually getting colder while everyone started to dress even warmer, the same goes for our uniform. Crisp air entered my system, fueling my body with an awakening surge of its frostiness. Don, Gilda and Emma were walking right next to me on our way to school, talking cheerfully to one another. Conversation went along the lines of complaints regarding the upcoming exams, more complaints about the cold, and countering those complaints. 

"It's getting very chilly lately." Don shivered while rubbing his hands together as a poor attempt of providing some warmth through the friction. 

"Really? I think it's still quite tolerable though." Emma tilted her head while dressing a little bit lighter than the three of us. 

"That's because you were staying in a cold region before moving here, Emma." I chuckled. 

"You're right, that must've been the case." Emma nodded, "I remember not being able to really endure it at first, but then I finally came to term with the temperature after spending almost two years trapped there without any recollection of who I was." She hummed with a frown adorning her lips. 

"Ah, now that I'm with everyone else, I feel a lot warmer though!" Emma grinned while linking arms with mine and Gilda's. 

"Yes, that's why don't try to leave anymore." Gilda added while constantly trying to fix Emma's scarf to prevent it from falling off. 

"Even though that's the case, you should start dressing more warmly!" Don mentioned after looking at how Gilda was fussing over Emma's attire. 

"No, don't worry! Ray said I wouldn't get sick." She smiled proudly at that statement. I immediately pressed my lips together to prevent the sudden urge to laugh at her statement. 

Emma's statement really brought back memories from when we were kids, taking care of Norman who was down with a cold. 

"What? Ray said that? But why, do you have a certain immunity? A genetic mutation?" Gilda and Don asked simultaneously, one after the other, while furrowing their brows in confusion. 

"I'm not sure either." She mumbled while scratching her head, "He wouldn't say why." She shrugged. 

"Oh, I know why." I cleared my throat trying to put up a very composed front. The three of them looked towards me expectantly, each of their gaze sparkled with curiosity. 

"It's a little secret, so come closer." I beckoned to them to huddle closer. 

"That's cause," I started after looking left and right to ensure that the coast was clear, "The book said 'idiots don't get sick'." I grinned mischievously after reciting Ray's line perfectly. 

Their faces went from curious, to processing, to shock, and now Gilda and Don were laughing at the pouting Emma. 

"_______! You're not usually like this." She whined. 

"Did Ray tell you about that?" She asked. 

"You must have forgotten, but he told you the same thing a long time ago." I chuckled at her reaction. 

"Just watch, I'm going to give him a piece of my mind." Emma frowned. 

"Speaking of which, where are Ray and Norman anyways?" Don asked amidst the laughter. 

"Prefectorial duties. With all the events coming up, there's that music and play appreciation, the cultural festival, and then the end of term ceremony." I answered recalling the papers I saw Ray and Norman were focused on lately.