The Life After: Adolescence

Our time in the human world went by even more swiftly. Norman, Emma, Ray and I are now starting our third year in university. Looking back, it felt as if we've just started high school recently and by the flick of the wrist, just in a flash, we are now university students. Though, the older kids from Grand Valley had moved out from the house and started their further studies years before us. I wonder if they also underwent difficulties in facing adolescence on their own as well. After graduating from high school just a few years ago, the four of us decided to proceed to a more advanced institution and move out of the house to live more independently. Well, we can't depend on the Ratri clan forever, so it was a good time to start off. While they insisted on paying our college tuition, we figured that it's the last thing we'll let them do in our stead, we need to start living on our own. Especially with moving to a small apartment on our own, we really need to manage our budget and living expenses. I've taken more shifts in the café I part-timed at, in order to help out. Balancing out part-time jobs and my studies while keeping our house clean are extremely challenging. However, we really need to survive. Emma worked with me in the café and ran some tutoring around the neighbourhood. The boys, on the other hand, do more of in-campus jobs which pay really well. Ray works as a laboratory assistant for the first years while Norman was involved in one of his professor's projects. Sometimes, it feels as if the world somehow chooses to be on their side for no specific reason, for they are able to work at something parallel to their interests and majors. 

Ray took mechanical engineering and he enjoys anything related to Science so it is indeed a good experience for him. Norman chose to enroll into an actuarial science major, to which he thrives without breaking a sweat, math is his strongest forte after all. Emma was interested in Psychology, however decided to attend law school instead. After spending almost 14 years in the demon world, psychology is not a problem for escapees like us anymore, so she took a sharp turn into law major, hoping to create changes in the world and put her stubbornness and wit to good use. Lastly, I know I would definitely submerge myself in helping others survive, mom's death sent a great blow to me. We couldn't do anything to save her and slipped through right before our grasps. That regret fueled each step I took to this day. I was torn between becoming a doctor or to contribute in other ways. In the end, I took biomedical science, for I feel the need to create aids that might help others in the medical field, lessening the load and boost survival rate at hospitals. In all honesty, we're faring quite well these past three years.

Notebooks were strewn open carelessly doming over the floor. Six hundred page-worth textbooks were lying flat against the wooden desk, while the computer screen lit up filled with journals and researches regarding prosthetics and orthotics, complete with the elaborate explanation and detailed calculations. Every page in the notebook was marked with colourful sticky notes and important points belonging to a certain matter of the subject. Examination week has arrived and everyone was occupied in their own little subjects. I scribbled some calculations on a stray piece of paper I found on the table. The pencil on my hand went to an abrupt stop as my eyes scanned over that last piece of formula glaring back at me. That was the last piece of problem I need to take on before calling it a day and probably do some revision tonight. I nibbled lightly on my lip feeling an imaginary steam puffed out of my head at that point. I intended to finish studying earlier so I could help Ray cook dinner tonight. I was so invested in that one little problem, that I did not hear my door being knocked on nor opened. 

"Apoptosis in cytoskeleton is directly related to the strength and density of one, therefore we need to put that into account." I mumbled to no one in particular. 

"What if you place it in the second equation that you just did here?" A finger pointed to a certain part of the paper. 

I almost jumped from my seat at the sudden appearance behind me. I immediately turned around to meet my so-called 'perpetrator'. There he was, smiling and leaning half of his weight on the hand which was pressed against the desk before him, while the other hand clutched a steaming mug. His brow was raised in amusement while his lips slightly curved upwards at the reaction I displayed. "Tea?" He asked as if nothing happened.