Chapter 23

Elora's P.O.V

It has been two weeks since I fled from my home planet Ahmorada. The base was my new home now, I had somehow gotten used to my plain surroundings as well as not being held to a higher standard. I was content with not being a Queen anymore but it was very hard to accept initially. It was different having to fetch my dinner from the cafeteria or eating with different kinds of people. Not having someone there for my every need was challenging, I haven't felt this way in ages. Since long before Xander when I was out on the streets of Ahmorada with nowhere to go.

I've also made new friends. I sometimes visit Dr. Morrow and his lovely assistant Yuri, she and I have made quite the friendship. I assist in any way I can whether it be just picking out bandages for wounded troopers or applying ointment on infected cuts. I had nothing else to do, I barely saw Kylo nowadays. He's working on a project but won't tell me what it's about. It's almost like he's trying to avoid me after saving my life. It didn't make any sense to me.

If I wasn't with Yuri and Dr.Morrow, I was in my room reading book after book. The base had a large library that I loved to visit. Most were Sith or First Order propaganda but I managed to find a shelf of older entertaining books. The shelf was old and dusty, I owed it to the fact that maybe not many people here read for entertainment. I check out two books at a time to make sure I have enough entertainment to last me.  

Maybe living here wouldn't be so bad after all. I made friends with everyone I came across except for Hux. He reminded me of Azura, the way he would follow me corridor after corridor like a little mouse collecting crumbs. Hux was different, I sensed no real danger from him as he knew how close me and Kylo were. At my word, he could be reprimanded by Kylo Ren. I knew that even though we barely communicated anymore, he'd still take care of me.

I sat on my couch in my room flipping through the pages of my new book. 'Like a Fish Out of Water'  Was about a man who traveled from his boring childhood home into a bigger exciting city and the new challenges that faced him there. It was almost like my situation. I was forced off of my planet and into this smaller less luxurious base. I found myself missing home again. I missed the purple skies and beautiful beaches. There were no beaches around here, only cold snow and harsh weather for miles. 

My longing for home was interrupted by a dark-cloaked man walking into my room. I smiled as I hadn't seen him in what felt like days but was only a few hours. "Elora. I'd like for you to join me in my room tonight for dinner." His tall intimidating figure loomed over me, Kylo could be a bit scary at times when his temper got the best of him or either something didn't go his way. "I'd love to." I smiled sweetly at him, "Good, we have matters to discuss. At dinner time and not a moment later, I have work to do." and with that, he turned on his heel to leave. I sighed and continued reading until it was time to get ready.

An hour or so before I was scheduled to have dinner with Kylo, I took a short shower. It was another thing I was getting used to, preparing, and taking my showers was foreign to me. I got out and applied minimal makeup, only enough to enhance my features. I also kept my hair down, I missed Nala doing my hair. She was someone I could always confide in and talk to. I didn't have that person anymore and it was lonely. I looked at myself in the mirror and let out a big sigh, I had to leave this in the past. It was the only way I could ever truly find peace. I put on a basic long sleeve black dress and headed to Kylos' room.

He sat at his table while drinking a glass of water, there were two plates of food and my water glass was full. I smiled and joined him at the table, "This looks amazing." I said as I sat. He smiled softly at me, I loved seeing him without all of the extras. His mask always clouded his handsome features and deep voice, it was nice being around the natural Kylo. "How are you adapting to living here? Well, I hope." He took a bite of food and looked me in the eye, "I've grown used to my surroundings and made some friends. Although it will take me some time to get fully comfortable, I like it so far." I smiled and took a bite as well. The food was exquisite, nothing like what they served in the cafeteria.

"They serve separate meals to ranking officials. Which brings me to why I wanted to have a conversation with you, Elora." He said wiping his mouth, I needed to remember to watch what I think around him. "What? Are you going to send me private meals now?" I asked chuckling, I tried to make a small joke that he didn't get. "No? I was asking if you would accompany me to Jakku tomorrow on some official business. I want to show you how we run things here." It took me a moment to process what he was asking me. It meant I could finally get off of the base and finally explore what the galaxy had to offer. It didn't take long for me to make a decision, "Of course!" I was very excited to finally go on an adventure.

The rest of the night flew by as we ate and talked. He didn't have much of a sense of humor but his stories were fascinating to me. After dinner, Kylo escorted me to the door. "It was nice being able to talk with you tonight. I'd love to do it again." I smiled up at him, the twinkle in his eye was anything but obscure. It made me smile, even more, we were caught in the moment staring into each other's eyes. We started to lean in but he quickly stepped back before anything happened, "Have a goodnight, Elora." he quickly ushered me out of his room, and the doors shut behind me.

I went to sleep that night smiling like a madman.