Chapter One

"Get off my back Betty, this place would be nothing without me and you know it." I growled at my manager. I was late for the third time this week and the tenth time this month. I was getting fired. Again.

"Kila, you're fired. That's that. You're the best barista in town but that doesn't mean you can just take advantage of that. Hand me your apron and get out." Betty said calmly. This happens about every three months. Soon she'll call me and ask me to come back because the place will be dead. I wasn't too worried about how this would end. I handed her my red apron, smirked, and stomped out.

The air outside was getting warmer, the sound of the waves hitting me with nostalgia. All I wanted now was summer. I hopped onto my black moped, the best way to get around this little town, and drove home.

Ribbonwood was a small town in the good ol' mitten state, lots of beach, not a lot of people. We weren't really a go to destination, just a pit stop. Our main street consisted of an inn, a bar, a little restaurant, a cheap gas station and a coffeeshop that doubled as a book store. If you wanted to go anywhere big it'd be an hour drive out to Grand Haven. That's where people really want to go.

Summer time meant a new ice cream vendor would open up in the empty building next to the coffee shop. Mostly just to humor the locals and anybody who actually wanted to visit. It was today that they were scheduled to move in but there still was no sign of them anywhere.

I rolled up my driveway and parked my moped. I saw my mom sitting up on the porch swing giving me a really-this-again look. Walking up to her I rolled my eyes, "Already over it mom. Don't worry about it."

"But Kila, how else are you supposed to pay for tuition next year? We can't keep doing this." She stood up, her chocolate eyes glaring into my grey ones. "My God, you are just like your father. You can't keep a job for the life of you. You were going places Kila." Her Hawaiian rage was mumbled through her pidgin talk, a thing I could never understand. "At this rate you won't be going to the University of California until your fifty." The door slammed shut and that was the end of that.

I sat on the porch and stared out into the skys that were almost as blue as my dear Lake Michigan. Before the coffee shop I've worked everywhere I could here in Ribbonwood. I've worked the inn, I've worked restaurant, but it never worked out. My tuition is a whole other story. It's been my dream for years to go to California and study video games and film but I have some financial issues of my own.

Vrmmm pft pft pft

A van hauling a trailer and a large semi driving down my street cut off my thoughts. The van parked in the rental house across the street and someone shouted from the semi. "Start unpacking, I gotta drop this stuff off at the parlor. You boys behave."

"We'll be fine Uncle Ren, take your time!" A body behind the van replied. The semi drove into town and I was caught staring at the new people across the street.

"Whatcha lookin' at girl?" One said as he got out of the car.

"See anything good?"

A couple of them laughed and a few waved. A group of five guys are going to be living across the street from me all summer? This was something I could deal with.

Then one more got out, my jaw dropped lightly. He was something else. I could've looked at him all day. He was someone I needed to know. I waved at them finally. "Welcome to Ribbonwood." I gave them a smile and quickly disappeared inside my house trying to find my mom.

"What is it now Kila?" She groaned.

"You think I could get a job at the ice cream parlor?"

///|||\\\

AN: Thank you everyone for reading! This is my first story here so hopefully the content will improve as it goes on.
Any suggestions or criticisms? Go ahead and let me know!
**takieitback