Chapter Fourteen

AALIYAH

My eyes widened as I quickly turned to Jace who was fully dressed now, closing up his suitcase with the same expression while we were still down by the stream of water.

We both looked out to see someone we didn't know or ever seen before.

It was a young woman with an actual functioning car, pulled over by the side of the road as me and Jace looked to each other once again even more confused.

All I just saw though, was a working vehicle that could take us to our next destination.

"Lost?! Yes! Yes we are! Hi! I'm Aaliyah Woods and this is my friend Jace Bennett!" I said,  quickly realizing what I had just called him.

I could see him smiling from the corner of his mouth toward me. I didn't know what had come over me it just felt really natural now.

"Well nice to meet you Aaliyah Woods and Jace Bennett! I'm Maribel!" She said giddily rushing over to us happily.

Something right off the bat was off with her cheeriness at two strangers she probably saw getting naked in a middle of nowhere, near a stream. But maybe she just had a bright personality.

"Nice to meet you too-" I started to say taking my hand out for her to shake, until she pulled me into a giant bear hug, thrusting my body over to her and hugged me tightly.

So much I started to loose the ability to breathe.

Jace smirked and walked over to us as she pulled into the same kind of hug as I was, as we were now just three people hugging in the desert.

"It's so exciting to see people around here! Embracing nature like I always do!" She shouted.

My eyes widened shocked.

"Oh no! We weren't-" Jace began to explain with his eyes the same way.

"Aww, silly you don't have to explain to me! I know how freaky life can get, am I right?!" She asked now hitting his arm roughly.

"Yeah...man, you're really strong." He said gritting his teeth. I giggled to myself.

"I was just passing by the road until I stumbled across a busted up pile of junk in the middle and thought maybe if I kept going, I could help if there was a problem." She told us.

"That's so nice of you Maribel. But I don't think you want to be bothered with us, unless you know someone who can get us to at least Texas within 4 hours." I said to her shyly.

She screamed excitedly. Me and Jace both jumped fearfully and taken aback.

"Oh I can! When I drive, it's nearly illegal only because it is. But! I can take you guys there to at least El Paso in 2!" She shouted happily.

My face gleamed as I turned to Jace who smiled to me.

"Could you?! Please, that would be all that we need to even get through half our journey!" Jace said to her. She giggled cheerfully and nodded.

"I sure can! You ain't said nothing but a word! Let's get this show on the road!" She then began chanting.

Me and Jace now looked to her a bit weirdly as she soon began doing a mini dance with it too.

She was definitely a character but I was really hesitant to trust her word. As she continued chanting the same words over and over again turning around and heading back to her car.