Chapter Eighteen

AALIYAH

"$95.62." the woman at the checkout counter at the store said.

We had managed to find some decent clothes, from the shameful disaster we had with our old wardrobe and was even more lost on our next move than before.

After our intense moment in my dressing room, I could see he was acting a bit standoffish to me.

Did I overwhelm him with showing my body, right after I told him we couldn't be together? Was our almost first kiss make him want so much more that I was afraid I couldn't give him? Or did he speak to Rachel, and after hearing her voice decide he wants to take a chance on an actual relationship and make them official?

To all the answers to those questions was the simple four words. I had no idea.

"$95?! That's more than I even made on my first flight." I said to her shocked.

"That's not my problem. You can always put back on your clothes I saw you and your boyfriend came in wearing, and just look like the hoodlums you perceived yourselves to be." She told me. I scoffed to her surprised.

"Okay really? Who even uses the terms "hoodlums" anymore lady in this day and age?" I asked.

Then it hit me what she just had referred Jace being.

Boyfriend. I had to admit, it sounded so freakin' good. But if I left even a small part of me just wishing that or thinking about it more than I needed to, I would just want him more.

Yeah I admit it. I wanted Jace Bennett.

I couldn't believe it. The way he looked at me when he was being real and genuine, the feeling we got every time we touched or even came close to contact...or the way he made me feel actually safe when the craziest situations brought us together.

I wanted him more than any man I'd ever want before. But I screwed that bridge already when I just said it was best if we remained friends.

But now, I didn't want that at all. I needed him in my life, just like he needed me in his.

I didn't know how I would undo what I already did to myself. Just another bad decision I made in the last 24 hours. God the perfectionist in me was completely livid.

"Oh he's not my boyfriend. What are you talking about? Why would you say that? I mean, I don't even think he wants me anymore after I basically said I couldn't have him! That's crazy talk! You're crazy talk!" I shouted to her nervous and rambling on.

The lady kept looking at me weirdly and shook her head as I quickly stopped talking.

Could I be anymore transparent?

"I don't care what breakdown you're having. I just want you to pay." She told me rudely.

"Right of course! Money! Cause that's what we're talking about-" I started to say about to ramble again.

But then, as I felt my back pants pocket I didn't feel my wallet at all.

Then I remembered, I wasn't the one holding onto it.

"Um, could you just hold on a second? Please, my friend has it and he's just looking through sunglasses. You know, life of a pilot. I promise I have it-" I started to say.

She smirked and shook my head. "Miss I have a line now. You're gonna have to go and change out of those clothes and possibly never come back. But who am I to tell you no?" She went on.