Project

English was a class that I always felt neutral about. I don't loathe it, nor like it too much. It was a chill class for me. There was one more thing: This was the only common class that all my friends shared.

Palm pushing open the wooden door, a wave of relief hits me as I spot Danielle's and Jimin's presence. Namjoon, who sat behind Taehyung and Hoseok, flashed dimples in his smile at me. Lastly: Jungkook. Forget what I said. I don't feel so relieved anymore.

I wasn't late to my class; I was sure, but my fellow classmates were too punctual that made me look like someone with a record for tardies.

I wouldn't blame them though. English class was among the list of classes with the most number of students, naturally everyone would be in a rush to find their favorable seat.

Settling myself in a seat left of Danielle, our teacher walked in and greetings followed.

"Class, this is the last assignment of this academic year"

The class dropped silent in anticipation.

"It's a book review", His words received a response in the form of groans and grunts.

I rolled my eyes. This was the fifth book review for our English class this year.

Three fourth of the population in this class were bookworms, unlike me, but this was getting way too much. They had gotten sick of it.

But the teacher was adamant enough to not budge at all. A book review it is.

"Okay this time, you can choose a partner", Before anyone could say a word, he clarified himself even further, "You get to pick one of these pieces of folded white paper and match yourself with your destined partner, based on your luck"

What if my luck is non-existent?

He paused at the lack of movement from any of the students.

"You may start choosing, everyone has to get a chance. Now, don't crowd, all of you could stand in 2 lines and do so"

No one listened.

There were 2 jars.

The entire class crowded around the 2 jars, trying to grab a piece of paper. It was highly likely that the jar would fall.

The teacher exhaled a sigh and wipes a hand down his face at the chaos.

"If anyone fails to obediently stand in 2 lines to earn his or her chance. said person will receive 4 times of detention"

Seconds later, he found the students in 2 lines, directed towards the jars.

"That's more like it"

I spot Jungkook, standing in the line opposite to mine. For a second, I imagined the chaos that would follow if we were partners. My luck is usually non-existent. What if we were partners?

There were high chances. It seemed impossible, but possible at the same time. If we chose the same number, we would instantly be partners. Maybe, I wanted that to happen.

Nope Raven, no you don't.

At my turn, my hand eagerly slips in to the mouth of the transparent jar, to feel the corners of folded paper pieces poke my fingertips and then picking one without much doubt.

Jungkook chose his number, the same time as me. Simultaneously, our eyes meet.

Would it be great if we were partners?

Nope, you don't want that.

We froze, but Namjoon calls him out. "Kook, what's yours?"

He walks up to Namjoon, opening the piece in front of him. "Mine's 10"