Chapter 25

•°•

As expected, we got an email the next day for an urgent meeting. There was panic in their tone, and that was what we wanted.

All of us discussed one last time about how everything will go down, on the group chat. Who will speak what, what will be done if anything goes out of order, etc.

I take a deep breath and settle in my seat for the meeting. Viki sits beside me, khan on my other side. And Vihaan rests in front of me.

My mind is in a spiral,  a little out of control over what was going to happen next; or to as my counterfeit mind was going on and on about said, what was not going to happen next. All this time, I had been looking forward to this feeling of freedom, of getting my name erased as the manipulating villain, but now that were here, my heart cant stop hammering and my mind cant stop running over all the negative possibilities.

Yesterday, viki stayed the night at my place, and calmed me down before each of my panic attack. I told her about everything that happened between me and Vihaan, I told her everything about why we decided to take this step. Viki hugged me when I told her all of it and she said something that is still ringing in my ears,

“I am proud of you for taking this step, sara. And even if all of this goes to shit, remember that we tried. That’s what's most important.”

In my mind, I knew that if we failed carrying this off, I would regret being brave all of my life, I would regret putting everybody’s life on the fence. But more than that, I would be somewhat proud, proud that I didn’t turn back when justice was needed, proud that I had the audacity and bravery to stand up for what I believed in.
As viki said, trying is what is most important.

I am pulled out of my reverie when I hear some thundering footsteps. The producers.
Everybody in the meeting room suddenly takes a role. Sakshi, being as confident as ever; rohan, the intern who doesn’t care; Vihaan, the bored assistant director; and me, acting as if I just woke up but my claws are on the edge of attacking. One wrong move, and there will be murder.
Khan enters the room, along with producers at her tail. They look angry, but if you look closely, you'll find them drowning in fear.

Khan is evergreen, and glowing as she chats up everybody, wishing them a good morning. I almost smile at her theatrics, but retain my scowling face for the sake of the producers.
Khan closes the door behind her and sits down. The room is silent, the silence so loud that we can hear the tick of the clock and the pings of notification throughout the room.

One of the producers, who is characterised by his Balding head and a paunch (epitome of backward producers) rests his hand on the chain in front of him and glowers at us.

“what is this? Why have we received a dozen two weeks notice at the same time?” jody says.

Bonnie, the younger one of the two, sits himself down and sips on his juice box.

The site is so comical, I hear viki snort beside me, but I place my hand on her knee to shush her.

Jody's face grows in agitation,
“well? Is somebody going to answer?”

And now the games begin.
Khan clears her throat,

“well, jody, as you may remember. Or feel, by the magic of déjà vu, that you blackmailed us in this room itself six months ago.” She points to herself and me.