13. Kisses & Confusion

Tyler tensed, and I fully expected him to pull away and freak out. I was preparing myself to jump up and run straight out of the apartment and never turn back.

But he didn't.

He quickly relaxed and softly put his hand on my cheek, his lips gingerly pressing deeper into mine.

My heart was hammering in my chest and my blood was roaring in my ears. I'd always had every aspect of my life mapped out, but between baseless fantasies and lustful thoughts, I never thought that my roads would lead me here.

After a few moments, Tyler slowly pulled away. My eyes fluttered open and met his. Every ounce of my body wanted me to turn away. Profusely apologize and promise that it would never happen again, but the look in his eyes told me that's not what he wanted. In fact, he wanted the opposite.

Besides, I didn't know if I could fully keep that promise.

"What about Kyra?" He softly asked, his hand leaving my cheek. I had the resist the urge to pull it back. His strong hand had cupped my cheek perfectly, and the gentleness he showed me was a stark contrast to the ruthlessness they'd shown on the field mere hours ago.

I shook my head. "We're not together anymore."

"I'm sorry, man."

"I don't know if I am," I said. The words hung heavy in the air and pressed down on my chest. I did love her, I really did, but things felt different. And not just because of Tyler, but I think that Tyler made me realize the small changes. Changes that I couldn't quite put my finger on.

"I don't know if I am either," he softly confessed as he slowly leaned in again, but he stopped himself as he looked into my eyes. "May I?"

I eagerly nodded. "Please."

His lips met mine so gently that I had to resist the urge to open my eyes to make sure he was actually there. His thumb gently pulled at my chin, causing me to adjust my head so he could have the vantage point on me that he wanted.

A feeling akin to pins and needles rushed into my knees, but it wasn't painful or uncomfortable. In fact, I felt like I was on a cloud, with all anchors to the ground long gone and millions of miles away from my problems or any aspect of reality.

His tongue skillfully slid into my mouth and I couldn't contain the groan that was pulled from deep within my throat as I pushed myself further into his fit body. He feverishly grabbed fistfuls of my shirt and held on for dear life.

I wasted no time climbing onto his lip so I was straddling him and one of his hands smoothly slid down from my face to my hip, his thumb underneath my shirt and touching my bareback. That small contact point was enough to make me melt.

He slowly wandered away from my lips and toward my neck, his hot breath making the hair on the back of my neck stand at attention.

My fingers left their post on his warm bare chest and tangled themselves in his thick hair as I pressed my neck deeper into his mouth. I felt my eyes roll back in my head as his tongue slid across the sensitive skin just right.

Then Serenity's cries filled the air.

Tyler groaned in my neck out of frustration before he pulled away and looked up at me, obviously not wanting to stop. "I gotta go take care of that."

"Yeah, do that," I bashfully said as I climbed off of him and ran my thumb over my tingling bottom lip, not looking at him.

I heard him chuckle as he got up and left the room.

I let out the breath I hadn't realized I was holding.

That was...intense.

Electricity was running through my veins like a live wire and my mind was exploding with colorful fireworks at what had just transpired. It felt like I was in a lucid dream: everything seemed real but there was an eerie feeling tugging at the back of my skull. Why didn't he freak out? Why didn't he act surprised at all? Why did that worry me so much?