𝗧𝗪𝗢 // night's anomalies

WEAKNESS #2
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
❝ He makes promises that are
often difficult to keep. ❞

☾ 𓅓

"SHOULD I EVEN ASK?"

"Ask about what?"

"Um, Miss? Who are you talking to? I'm over here."

"Oh, okay." I turned towards the direction of the voice, repeating, "Ask about what?"

"Tomoyo," my best friend chided as storm warnings set off my mental barometer, preparing myself for the harangue he was likely to smite me with.

Instead, surprisingly, he sighed. "Why are you doing this? It's too early for me to yell at you right now. I haven't even warmed up my throat yet."

I adjusted my bag higher onto my shoulder. "I just thought... you know... well..."

"Well?"

"If I covered my face — "

"With your hair."

"Yes, with my hair. If I did that, then the underclassmen wouldn't be so terrified of me whenever I walk through campus. I don't want them to think I'm glaring at them and cursing them to death. It wouldn't exactly be conducive to a learning environment if the students are scared for their lives, right?"

Toshi pinched the bridge of his nose, expelling a deep breath. I imagined there was smoke billowing out of his nostrils at the moment. I couldn't see him clearly, but his frustration was always pretty tangible. It was as if he only existed to be angry.

"Don't you think you're only going to scare them even more like this?" Toshi ruffled my hair, and I tried to swat his hands away. "You look as if you're about to crawl out of a television."

I fixed myself into my usual appearance, combing my tangled strands through my fingers. "You're a bully, you know that?"

"You tell me that every time — so, yes. I'm quite aware. How else am I supposed to react when you do things like this?"

"You haven't even seen Plan B, yet!"

"Do I want to?"

From my blazer's pocket, I fished out a black face mask, looped the straps over my ears, and tugged the fabric over my mouth and nose. I pushed a pair of sunglasses to cover my eyes, and I even used one of my dad's old baseball caps, pulling it down snug on my head.

"How does it look, Toshi? Foolproof, right?"

He slapped my hat's visor. "Foolproof, my ass. You're either a petty thief seconds away from mugging someone or a celebrity doing a poor job at seeming inconspicuous. Now, quit playing around. The cops might stop and question you for suspicious activity, and I'm not trying to be tardy."

I narrowed my eyes at him, but he probably couldn't see my disgruntlement past the tinted glasses. "You're more concerned about your attendance than my possible arrest?"

"Only one of us can have a pristine record, my friend."

"You're not my friend, Toshi. You're terrible."

"Again — I'm completely aware. And if you don't put your disguise away, this terrible person will gladly present you with a dress code infraction the moment you step foot on campus."

We made our way towards the station, and it only took five minutes before the train pulled in. It was the typical morning rush in Tokyo, but sometimes, whenever I'd bump into a stranger and turn to them to apologize, they'd end up inching backwards from me with an antsy expression. Then, Toshi would nudge my side and snicker, "Looks like your evil glare comes in handy, after all."