𝗙𝗜𝗩𝗘 // golden hour promises

WEAKNESS #5
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
❝ It's hard to say no to his face. ❞

☾ 𓅓

"WHAT AM I going to do with the two of you? And you guys are supposed to be the leaders of our student body? Isn't this awfully concerning? Shimazaki must have it hard..."

"Look, we already fixed things ourselves, so we don't need you to do anything, you thoughtless brute."

"Oh, that's rich coming from the guy without a single y griega of sensitivity!"

"Y griega, wha — why are you speaking Spanish all of a sudden?"

"'Without a single y griega.' That's how the saying goes. And it's Greek for the letter 'I,' by the way. Bet you didn't know that, huh, smart guy?"

"You... are a complete and utter idiot. The phrase is 'without a single iota.'"

"Same difference."

"No? No, it's not?"

Once upon a time not too long ago, morning walks to school looked a lot like this one.

Almost as soon as I'd step through my door, I would hear Toshi and Mitsu arguing right outside the apartment gates. The topic of the quarrel for each day was never the same, and it astounded me how they could find so many little things to squabble over.

Shun-san from downstairs typically goes out for a run while I'd finish packing my things, and I often listened in to his valiant efforts at breaking up the fight — only to surrender when my best friends would threaten to leak information of his pitifully desperate crush on my sister.

I was totally oblivious to his feelings until I caught wind of it one morning, and ever since then, Shun-san avoided my eyes even more than usual.

And today, much to my surprise, I got to hear Shun-san's pleas once again.

Would it be sadistic of me to say it was oddly nostalgic?

In the last half of our second year, Mitsu started dating a regular on the volleyball team, and in order to spend more time together considering their hectic schedules, they'd walk to morning practice, holding hands and all.

But I guess when President Shimazaki mentioned that Mitsu's two best friends were in a fight, it might've led her to stray from that new routine and return to our old one for the day.

When I met with them outside and revealed that Toshi and I had already made up last night, she called the resolution "anticlimactic" and had expected something more intense, like a decisive duel between old friends-turned-rivals.

And then, Toshi diagnosed Mitsu with a shōnen manga obsession.

"Still, though — you should've been more careful with your words, Toshinori. I know you're not really aware of it, but sometimes, you can really cross the line." Mitsu shook her head, adjusting the shinai bag on her shoulder before turning to me with a pout. "And you should learn to be petty, Tomo. Just take this guy as an example."

Demon Vice President Naitō awakened and bared his fangs at the kendo captain. "I am not petty, you boorish juvenile!"

"Gosh, you're such a geezer when you talk like that. Try offending me with words that are used in this era and that can actually hurt me. Otherwise, all I hear is a short-tempered wares merchant reciting Shakespeare lines smudged on his tiny, clammy palms."