𝗙𝗢𝗨𝗥 // small, frail courage

WEAKNESS #4
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
❝ His bouts of low self-esteem are
unpredictable, but he is easily
swayed by encouragement. ❞

☾ 𓅓

"SO, YOU'RE FINALLY HOME."

The figure in the kitchen scoffed and pushed her glasses further up the bridge of her nose. "What's with that greeting? You sound like a wife waiting for her cheating spouse to come back from a quote-on-quote business trip."

"No, actually, it sounds more like you've been watching way too many soap operas, Neesan."

"It can't be helped. Maika is shooting a drama right now, and she always asks me to stay on set to make her feel more at ease," she sighed, as if she became exhausted by the mere mention of it. "The lines are so corny, I want to vomit."

I grabbed a juice box from the fridge and sent her a deadpan expression, "Is that so?"

"Seriously, what's the deal with all your responses today?" she muttered. "And to think I was feeling generous enough to give you a ride to school. Why can't you be this stabby with other people? What happened to my cute, delicate baby sister who always ran to my side and needed protecting?"

"Do you want me to be stabby or delicate? When you decide on one, let me know," I remarked, taking a disinterested sip of my apple juice. "And are you really going to give me a ride to school? You're usually busy at this time."

"The girls don't have to be anywhere until later this afternoon, so I have a few hours before I pick them up," she explained with her lips hovering over the rim of her cup and proceeding to chug down the rest of her black coffee. "Are you ready to go? We'll leave in a little bit."

On any other day, she would've thrown on something comfortable and easy to move in, but right now, she wore a navy blue pantsuit and styled her long black hair into a ponytail. It must've been a pretty formal event if she even took the time to apply makeup, but the change was minimal, so I could still see the dark rings hanging under her eyes past the glasses' lens.

Still, as elegant and professional as she looked, I couldn't really take her seriously when she was holding a bright green mug with her favorite pop idol's face plastered on it.

"Let Toshinori know that he has to be here soon if he wants to carpool," she told me, placing the cup in the sink. "The road heading to Fukurōdani is pretty congested after seven, and I do not want to get caught up in that."

That's right. I almost forgot.

I was still on awkward terms with Toshi. Well, I assumed we were since we didn't really talk after what happened in the student council room. And if it's Toshi, then he can really harbor a grudge.

"We're not going to school together today," I cleared my throat, avoiding her gaze and shoving another juice box into my bag.

It would be best to play it safe and avoid him until he mellows out. He'll approach me when the time is right. I'm sure of it.

My sister raised an inquisitive eyebrow at me. "Really? That's weird. I thought you two always walked to school together. Did you guys have a falling out or what?"