𝗘𝗟𝗘𝗩𝗘𝗡 // unconventional heroes

WEAKNESS #11
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
❝ He's not ready to play if he doesn't
  put on his right knee pad before his left. ❞

☾ 𓅓

"ALMOST THERE."

Never in a million years...

"Come on," I sputtered out, willing myself to push forward despite the trembling of my legs, the burning in my chest. "Go. Go!"

If you were to tell me that, on my own volition, I'd race through the streets of Shibuya right at the start of rush hour, I never would've believed you.

And yet, here I am on this late spring day, tumbling through the pulsing heart of Tokyo, breaths sputtering out ragged and broken from my surely shaking lungs, white polo clinging onto my back as if I had plastered it with glue, loafers slipping off my heels from the sweat coating my insoles.

I didn't even dare glance to the side. Traffic was at a standstill, and I just knew I had an audience watching me totter along in my pitiful state.

The situation (and my physical condition) started to look dire, and the sun provided me no respite as it continued to stare me down with apathy.

I really did it this time, huh?

When I get back to Fukurōdani, Toshi's going to chop my head off, put it in a jar, pickle it, use it to garnish his favorite tonkatsu. He's never going to let me live this one down, but I wouldn't exactly call it unreasonable of him to blame me. I wouldn't even be surprised if President Shimazaki ends up being disappointed.

But, maybe, if I explain everything to them — as ridiculous as I'll most likely sound — they'll understand. They'll forgive me for this. God, I sure hope they do.

"It's kind of a funny story," I'd say to them, and like all funny stories, I suppose, this one should be told from the rather unassuming beginning...

☾ 𓅓

"Well, don't you look rather intense today?"

"Oh, trust me, I know," I signed, trudging towards my seat. My bag, emulating my movements, landed with a sad, heavy plop.

"Let's hope you didn't scare off any of the first-years again," Mitsu chuckled and reached over to smoothen down my wilder-than-usual flyaway hairs. "Seems like you had a rough sleep, Tomo."

"Not really. It was quite the tranquil three hours."

"Yikes. And I'm guessing Toshi's in the same boat? What did you guys even do?"

"He and President Shimazaki stayed up with me to review the paperwork. It was brutal." I leaned against her hand, finding comfort in the way her fingers stroked and combed through my hair. "You should've seen Toshi when we met in front of my apartment this morning."

"Oh, I bet. He's always so weird about his bedtime. What was it again? 9 PM?"

"9:30, to be precise. And, let me tell you, he really does need those hours of sleep. You know, Shun-san was coming back from his morning jog, and just a simple look from me and Toshi made him turn around and do another hurried lap around the block."