Chapter 7. Helpless to Escape

Nathaniel wached from the trees as Winter was taken to the captains tent. Now what could he be wanting with her? Thought Nathaniel. He climbed to a closer tree to get a better view of the camp, and where all the guards were posted.

One thing in his favor, was that the soldiers weren't armed. He had taken special care that his camp took the muskets with them.

When he returned to the temporary camp, he told them some more of his plan to win Winter's trust again: they would dig a prison pit, much like the one at thier original camp. Then one at a time one of the men would get in the sight of the Dirish. Naturally, the Dirish would chase after him. So then he'd lead them to the new prison pit. And the Dirish would fall in, trapped, unable to leave.

They would round up the Dirish this way, and little by little they'd have everyone. Other than maybe the captain and one or two men. But they would be easy to detain.

After being trapped in her tent all day, a Dirish soldier came to 'escort' Winter to supper with the Captain.

The Dirish had found the camp's food storage, and were making the most of it.

The Captain tried to have conversation with Winter. But she refused to say more than: hello, and thank you. Though, she didn't mean the 'thank you' part.

Nathaniel and his merry men had gathered most of the Dirish soldiers. Now it was time to confront the Captain, and Winter. Nathaniel hoped Winter would be glad to see him, though there was no way to know for sure.

He walked into camp carefully, with Marie and a few others. She had begged to come, and Nathaniel, his mind being more set on seeing Winter again, agreed after a while.

The camp was silent other than some birds in the trees. Nathaniel looked around, but couldn't find any sign of the Dirish Captain, or Winter. He looked in every tent, then he came to the last one. If they're not here.. No, they'll be here.

He walked slowly to the tent. He opened the door, and saw Winter tied up up to the post of the tent. The Dirish Captain holding a knife to her neck.

"I've been waiting for you" sneered the captain.

Nathaniel barley heard him, his whole being was filled with rage at seeing Winter tied up helpless.

Nathaniel took a step closer. The Captain tightened the knife so it was touching Winters throat. "one more step, she dies"

Nathaniel stopped where he was, he would do anything to save Winter "what do you want?"

"you"

"what good am I to you?" Nathaniel hoped beyond hoped the Captain didn't recognize him from before...

"that's for me to know, and you to find out."

He wasn't treating Nathaniel as he would if he knew who he was, Right?

"what about your soldiers?" said Nathaniel still having the upper hand.

"you give me my soldiers, and yourself. I set the girl free. If not, she dies." by the tone in his voice, and the evil glare in his eyes, Nathaniel knew this heartless Captain was serious.

With his mind filled with rage, and his heart filled with love for Winter, Nathaniel agreed to Captain morris' terms. The trade was to take place the next morning at the borders of camp.

After Nathaniel left, the Captain returned the knife to his boot. And Winter was finally able to breath easily without the danger of being cut. "you won't get away with this!"

"oh, but I already have. Did you really think your outlaw leader could out think me?"

Winter didn't answer, she was too mad at the Dirish captain.

"ahh, but i can see you did. You place too much hope in that young fool."

She didn't answer, knowing that was what he wanted.

"strange though, I didn't expect him to care this much." he said, more to himself than Winter.

But this small statement caught her atention.
He cared more so than was expected?

She didn't expect this revalation to make such an impact on her. But somehow, Nathaniel had snuck his way into her heart.
He's willing to give himself a captive to this evil man, just to save me?

She tried to convince herself he would do this for any of his merry men, but failed miserably.

After reaching the temporary camp, Nathaniel was restless. He paced back and forth, his hands clenched into fists.
If only I can come up with a way to save Winter, and myself.

He stayed like this the rest of the day, and well into the night.

Finally, one of the men carefully suggested he get some sleep. Stopping his thoughts, Nathaniel looked up and saw how late it was. Knowing he would want to be well rested in the morning, he took the man's advice and went and layed down.

He didn't fall asleep for another hour, still looking for a way out if the captains trap.

In the morning he had only come up with one sulution. Though, not the perfect one.

Some of his men were somewhat good at achery, or with a gun. In the early days of camp, Nathaniel had wanted everyone to be good at the longbow. Like in the storys of his ancester Robin Hood. But he soon gave up when he found out he couldn't do a thing with a bow. Well, anyways, while the Captain was holding Winter at knife point, someone could shoot and try to kill the Captain. But the chances of hitting the Captain and not Winter were slim. Then, even if the plan did succeed, he wasn't into killing people.

So they went to the borders of camp, with the Dirish soldiers, and no plan out of giving thier leader to captain morris.

They first gave him his soldiers.

"untie them." ordered the Captain, moving his hand with the knife ever so slightly, to draw attention to it at Winter's neck. The men looked to Nathaniel, he nodded for them to do the captains bidding. Still full of rage, but keeping his cool to save Winter.

Winter was gagged, and her hands were tied behind her back. She saw all these proceedings take place, but could do nothing about it. Nathaniel would get taken captive. She still hoped he had a plan, like he always did. But as the trade continued, her hopes dwindled.

After the soldiers were untied, Captain morris ordered "now bind thier leader." Nathaniel didn't struggle against them, knowing the terms of the deal, that Winter's life was at stake.

As soon as his hands were behind his back, and two guards were holding him at the elbows. The Captain removed his knife and put it in his boot.

He then took his soldiers and headed towards the town, where a ship was waiting to take them to Dirland. Knowing the outlaws would try to rescue thier leader and follow him.
They can't follow us to Dirland. The Captain thought with an evil grin, once he got to the ship and Nathaniel was safely imprisoned in the brig.

A/N

Okay I haven't done this before. Personaly I don't like authers notes. But, I'm sorry for updating a day late. So do you want me to do more auther notes at the end of chapters? For me its distracting from the story. Tell me what you think!

Oh, and how do like the new cover! I like it a lot, its a picture I took at my grandma's house over the holidays. So, happy New years!

~Windy Winter