Chapter 5

JACK

"I'm friends with a cop?"

Jack stood by the edge of the hospital bed, his hands shoved in his pants pockets and Easton down at his heels. "You say that like it's a bad thing."

"I guess it depends on who you ask." Sophia shrugged. "Why are you here anyways? How you find me so fast?"

"It was actually my K9-" Jack was interrupted by a bark from Easton. He glanced at him and than back, "Easton, is the one who found you first."

Sophia looked at the dog sitting obediently on the white linoleum floor. "Oh well, thanks. I guess."

Since they both were out of the rain Jack finally got the chance to get a good look at the girl he rescued.

Jack swayed on his heels. "So..."

"So."

"So."

"So." Sophia stated before getting up from the small hospital bed. Smoothing out her clothes, still a bit damp from the rain, she asked, "what now?"

As if on cue, the E.R doctor from before came bounding back over. "You're free to go." She turned towards Jack. "And I would like a word."

Jack eyes widened but he smiled. "Sure. Yeah." He stated before turning to Sophia. "You can wait outside by my patrol car."

"Okay." Sophia nodded, understanding.

"You can't miss it. It the big, white one and it says Sheriff on the side."

Sophia chuckled. "Got it."

*

Jack followed the E.R doctor back into a small office. Simple with four white walls with a desk in the middle of the room.

"What did you want to talk about?" Jack spoke as he stepped into the room.

"Nothing serious. Just to go over a few things."

"About?"

"The one who's undoubtedly leaning up against your patrol car at the moment." Staucey explained.

"Why me though?" Jack asked.

Staucey maneuvered her way behind the desk. Ruffling through one of the drawers she pulled out a small plastic bag containing small bone-shaped treats. Taking one out, she tossed it threw the air towards Easton who happily caught the treat in his mouth.

Jack looked at his K.9 and than back at Staucey. "You still keep MilkBones in your desk."

"To be totally honest, I never took them out of my desk."

"Why not?"

Staucey smirked at the Sheriff sitting across the desk. "I knew you'd come back eventually."

Jack chuckled. "You have such little faith in me as a cop?"

"Not exactly." Staucey started. Walking around to tbe front of the desk she sat on tbe edge, in front of Jack. "I do trust you. Which is why, I'm counting on you."

"For?"

Staucey stood up straight and closed the remaining distance between her and Jack. "For making sure that girl gets her memory back."

"Yeah. I still have to write up a report too."

Staucey nodded. "Maybe check around some missing persons reports see if anything comes up." She explained, smiled, and she straightened out Jack's damp uniform top. Placing both hands at the sides of his biceps, she went on. "One week. That's when she needs to come back and see me so we can determine if there's any progress."

"And if there's not?"

"Then we give it another week. And so on, until there is progress and she eventually remembers who she is." Staucey explained as she patted Jack's shoulder. "In the meantime, be her friend. Bond. Get to know each other over this next week." She smiled. "You never know what could happen."