Chapter 12

SOPHIA

The next morning, Sophia woke up, this time weary of the sleeping K9 once again at her feet. She stretched out on the couch before getting up and heading towards the kitchen. Setting up the coffee, she pressed the button so it could begin brewing.

By the time it was done, Easton was awake and down by her feet.

She looked down and smiled. "You're probably hungry," she stated as she set the coffee mug down and went to feel Easton's food bowl.

Once done, Sophia got her cup of coffee together. She watched Easton hurriedly gobble up his food like his life depended on it before catching a glimpse out the window. It seemed to be a beautiful day, the sun was shining and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. It would be a nice day for a walk. Maybe it would even clear her head.

Sophia peered down at Easton. "Want to go for a walk?"

Easton sat down on the tiled floor while wagging his tail across it excitedly.

Did police K9s typically go for traditional walks? I guess we'll find out...

"Wait here." Sipping some coffee, Sophi made her way over to the laundry room where she remembers seeing a dog leash. Coming back to Easton, she approached, "Easton."

The K9 sat calmly as Sophia clipped the leash to his collar. She downed the rest of her coffee before heading over and placing the now empty mug in the sink.

Before heading out she caught a glimpse of the music player. The same one she found when she made pancakes a few days ago. Deliberating for a few seconds she decided to take it.

Sophia popped the ear buds in her ears, stuffed the music player in the waistband of her sweatpants, grabbed Easton's leash, and headed out.

"Let's go!"

****

Easton proved to have a lot more energy than Sophia anticipated. He was well-behaved most of the times, but also stronger than she thought. It took some brief scolding before the walk went more smoothly.

Some country song continued to play through the ear buds Sophia was wearing as they walk around the block for the second time.

Coming back around to the entrance gate, someone called out.

"I know you," a woman spoke as she loading a large trash bag into the dumpster. She waved over.

Sophia turned around and saw the woman approaching. The closer she got, the more Sophia could see her holding a leash that had a little dog with flopping gray ears.

"I thought that was you," the woman said again. "gosh, it's been so long."

"Um." Sophia nodded, deciding it best to play along and see where things go. "Yeah. It's...been awhile." She looked down at her dog to see it touches noses with Easton.

"Yes. I still have Willie." The woman spoke.

"Willie?" Sophia questioned.

"Like Willie Nelson. Come on, I told you this story before haven't I?"

Sophia shrugged. "Must've slipped my mind."

"I think I might know what'll help."

"That being?"

"My oh-how-I-wish-they-were-famous chocolate chip peanut butter cookies."

"Well..." Sophia seemed apprehensive.

"Come on, it's be nice to catch up!" The woman pleaded before adding, "I have milk to go along with the cookies." The woman added with a sly smirk.

Sophia pondered the idea for a neat. What would be the harm? She couldn't remember anything about her life and any small detail that could help her remember something, anything, was welcomed. Clearly this woman knew her.

Sophia glanced at Easton, noticing the collar around his neck. The words Sheriff K9. And the small silver badge.

If anything were to happen, Easton would protect her, right?

After a beat, Sophia met the woman's gaze once again. "Lead the way."

All the while repeating the same words in her head, over and over again. Play along.