Chapter 20

SOPHIA

Thirty minutes later, Sophia, Cate, and Enrique found themselves at Sugar n' Spice. Or just the Spice side.

It was the kind of place with exposed brick making up the walls of the interior. Black vinyl tabletops lined around a wooden dance floor with a couple of chairs at each one. Booths lined up along the walls near windows that overlooked a marina.

Unlike the Sugar side, with a neon sign shaped like a large ice cream cone, of Sugar n' Spice, the Spice side offered a similar neon sign just in the shape of a martini. Given that it was a bar, it made sense.

"How many in your party?" A brown-eyed girl with auburn hair cut into a bob that bounced with each step she took greeted them. Before anyone could answer her, her eyes widened as she saw Cate. "Oh hey, Cate." Then her eyes quickly narrowed in confusion. "Wait. I thought you were off today?"

Cate offered. "I am off. But that doesn't mean I wasn't hungry." Gesturing to either side of her she introduced the other two at her sides. "These are my friends by the way." Clearing her throat, "Sophia and Enrique, this is my co-worker, Lucy. Lucy, this is Sophia and Enrique."

"Well, I'm already kind of familiar with Enrique." Lucy offered.

"How?" Cate asked.

"He pulled me over last Wednesday. Wrote me a ticket."

"Well that's what you get for going thirty miles over the speed limit." Enrique chimed in.

Lucy laughed, somewhat maniacally, before narrowing her eyes towards Enrique, glaring. Her voice registered no emotion as she spoke, "and you're lucky I'm just your hostess and not your waitress." Then quickly added, "just kidding. Follow me."

And they did. Towards one of booths in the far corner near the bar, close to the neon sign of the martini hanging on the wall.

They all slid into the booth. The soft velvet, black and inviting enveloped them as they sat down. Enrique and Cate on one side and Sophia sat on the opposite side.

Lucy placed a menu in front of each of them. "I can give you guys time to look these over or do you already know what you want?" She asked as she looked between the three patrons.

"We'll take five." Cate spoke before shooing her off.

"Actually..." Enrique spoke up before Lucy could make her escape. "I just wanted to know something."

"Yes?" Lucy asked.

"Out of the three of us here..." Enrique gestured around the booth. "Would do you find the hottest?"

"Oh come on!" Cate boasted incredulously.

"What? Ever heard of Fuck. Marry. Kill?"

"No one wants to play Fuck. Marry. Kill."

"Cate, please, if I may..." Lucy added in. "Neither."

Enrique glared at her. "Why not?"

"Simple." Lucy said. "You're not my type."