Chapter 18

SOPHIA

The new day began in yet another bright and sunny morning and the wet length of Easton's tongue vigorously working it's way over Sophia's face. She blinked her eyes open several times, flinching at the dog's assault. 

"Ugh, Easton," Sophia got up and gave Easton a light scratch on top of his head. "What is with your obsession with trying to eat me alive in the morning?" She quipped. 

The dog cocked his head to the side. 

"Are you hungry?" Sophia asked. 

Easton barked. 

"I'll take that as a yes." 

Contrary to the rain storm last night, the sky was now clear and fresh, it's color blue as ever. There wasn't a cloud in the sky as Sophia glance out the floor to ceiling windows, making her way to the kitchen with Easton trailing close behind. 

Gathering up a scoop full of kibble from the pantry, she poured the contents into the metallic bowl and stepped back to watch Easton gobble it up quickly. 

Hearing her own stomach rumble, she made her way over to the refrigerator. She took out the eggs, milk, bacon and set the contents down on the counter. Grabbing for a loaf of bread she picked out a few slices and placed them in the toaster. 

Next, she grabbed a pan out of the cabinets and started with the bacon. The delicious greasy smell filled the room the second the bacon hit the hot pan, the sizzling immediate. 

"Something smells good." The familiar voice, however somewhat gruff because the person had just awoken, came from behind. It was Jack. 

Sophia turned to see Jack. He still wore his gray sweatpants...and nothing else. They hung low on his hips and still continued to show off that eye-catching lower abdomen. 

"Good morning," Sophia spoke, trying to act natural and calm. 

"Good morning," Jack replied before adding, "sleep well." 

"Your bed is a lot more comfortable than your couch, so yes," 

"That's good." He turned to her and smiled before turning all his attention to the coffeemaker. "You want coffee?" 

"Always." 

Jack got to work with setting up the coffeemaker and before long it was spilling it's contents into the glass carafe. 

A moment of silence until Jack spoke again. 

"Did you already feed Easton?" 

"Yes. I did." Sophia replied as she removed the now cooked bacon from the pan before asking, "is that okay?" 

Jack shrugged. "Of course." He walked over and snagged a piece of the bacon off of the plate and placed it in his mouth. 

"Hey!"  Sophia protested weakly. 

"Sorry. Hungry." He said in between chewing. 

Jack snagged another piece of bacon and took a bite, then handing over the other half to Easton. 

"So what are you making anyways?" Jack asked, curious. "Bacon, toast, and…" 

"Eggs." 

"Sunny-side up or scrambled?" 

"Scrambled." 

Jack nodded and then went to the refrigerator and pulled out a bag or shredded cheddar cheese, holding it out to her in offering. "Than you're going to need this." 

Sophia grabbed it. "Thanks." 

"Can I help?" 

"I'm almost down here. Just sit, relax, and drink coffee." Sophia said before silently adding in her mind, And look pretty. 

"Sit. Relax. Drink coffee." Jack started as he sat down at the table, "it's a cop's dream scenario". 

After whisking up some eggs with milk and pouring them into a hot pan she stirred the egg mixture until it almost cooked. Then she topped it off with some of the shredded cheese and then stirred again until the eggs were fully cooked. She distributed the eggs on two plates along with some bacon and toast before making herself a cup of coffee. Then she walked both plates over to the table and set one of them in front of Jack. 

They ate in silence for a brief moment and than Jack broke the silence. "So what did you have planned for today?" 

"I was thinking of heading over to Sugar & Spice and seeing if Cate is there." 

"Why?" 

"What do you mean why? She's the only lead I have so far to remembering who I am. Why not?" 

"From what she said the last time?" 

"Maybe that's why it's a good idea." 

"Okay. You know how to get there?" Jack asked before sipping his coffee. 

"Bus?" 

"You don't have to take bus. I can give you a ride." 

"Okay." 

Another moment of silence before Jack cleared his throat. 

"Um…" Jack started. 

"Something on your mind there Officer?" Sophia smirked. 

"Sort of. Would you like to accompany me to a ball this Saturday night?" 

Sophia cocked her head to the side, albeit a bit confused. "A ball?" 

"A policeman's ball. To be exact." Jack clarified. 

"Cops...have...balls." Sophia stated slowly but surely, trying not to boast out in a fit of laughter. 

Jack laughed briefly. "They come at least once every year." Pause. "It's more like a cocktail party. More of a chance for police and members of the community can come together and discuss public relation issues and discuss lowering crime rates and protecting yourself from becoming a victim of crimes committed by others." 

"Saturday night." Sophia mused. "Would I wear your t-shirt and sweatpants to this shindig too?" 

Jack smirked. "Not exactly." Pause. "I was thinking we could go shopping sometime before then. I'm free Friday."

"I'll think about it." Pause. "We both know I don't have anything going on at the moment." 

Jack nodded his head before adding, "there'll be an open bar." Pause. "Just in case you needed convincing." 

"It sounds fun regardless." 

"So you're in? You're go with me?" 

"I'll need formal wear." 

"We'll take care of that." 

Sophia nodded, accepting the offer. "So Friday?" 

Jack nodded in agreement. "Friday."