Chapter 8

SOPHIA

Sophia stretched out on the sofa and she began to wake up. Rubbing the sleep from her eyes, she snuggled into the soft, smooth leather, completely content. She moved her left hand out of her face when, suddenly, she felt a weird sensation around her right wrist. Something soft, yet wet was running around it over and over again.

She blinked a few times before looking down at her hand. Right there, she saw it. Tan ears sticking up out of a mass of black furry head while a pink tongue jutted out, licking her wrist. She quickly pulled her wrist away and sat up on the couch.

"Ugh, Easton!" She sighed in disgust. "You slobbered all over my hand."

Sophia looked at the miniscule gold bracelet latched around her wrist before unlatching the clasp and placing down on the coffee table.

"You hungry or something?" Sophia looked to Easton, gauging his reaction, before standing up.

Making her way into the kitchen, Easton right at her heels, she washed her hands in the sink, ridding them of police dog slobber, and began to rummage through the cabinets.

Hearing a shuffling of paws on the tiled floor, she turned around to see Easton over by the largest cabinet, mimicking digging with his paws into the ground.

"Found something?" Sophia spoke cheerily as she crossed the room. She opened the cabinet and found the kibble for Easton. Reaching into the bag of dog food she scooped out some and brought it over to the silver bowls laying down at the edge of the island before stepping away and letting Easton eat. Picking up the other bowl, she walked it over to the sink and filled it with water before bringing it back to the ravenous canine.

"Damn, dog!" Sophia spoke suddenly, watching Easton. She looked around the immaculate kitchen as her stomach rumbled. "Say, you don't think your dad would mind if I raided his kitchen for something to eat, do you?"

Easton looked up briefly before going back to his food.

"I'll take that as a 'no'."

Searching though the pantry, Sophia immediately caught her eye on the pancake mix.

"It's perfect!"

Setting the mix down on the counter, she moved towards the refrigerator. She opened it and looked through it's contents, grabbing out the eggs and some bacon.

Spotting a coffee machine on the counter, Sophia quickly worked with brewing some coffee.

Cops like coffee. Sophia thought as she shot a glance over at Easton, "your dad likes stereotypes, right?"

Flipping through cabinets, Sophia found a decent sized frying pan for the pancakes. She set it on the stove while she missed together the pancake mix and put some bacon in the oven to cook.

She stood on her tiptoes to look through the cabinet overhead and pulled out a mixing bowl to mix together some pancake mix. Before closing the cabinet, something else caught her eye and she reached for it and pulled it down.

Turning it over in her hands, she admired the small cylindrical object: a CD player.

Old school, Officer.

A smirk tugged at the corners of Sophia's mouth as she set the music player down on the counter. Opening it she saw there was already a CD in it and closed it once again.