Chapter 13

"We hear your pain, Taurtis."

The boy woke up from his bed in a panic. He looked around his little shack, looking for the owner of the voice. It's been a couple days since he's found the other Evolutionists, thousands of blocks away from their home, and every night, he's had nightmares. All of them featured the Watchers.

Taurtis stumbled around the small starter base, looking for his tools. He grabbed his sword from his chest and sighed. "Just another bad dream..."

He then grabbed some food and prepared for the day ahead. He was thinking of meeting up with the Property Police... wait... Biome Buddies.... that's what they wanted to be called now.... it doesn't matter, he wanted to meet up with them to explore the surrounding area of the new spawn.

Taurtis opened his door.

...

Taurtis closed his door.

What the heck? Outside had a purple hue and was warped. He knew exactly what it was. The Downside Up. But why was he here?? There's no way there was another portal jump. According to the other Evolutionists, they just had one! Unless he was placed in another long slumber again? No. He didn't feel the same way he did when he woke from that.

He leaned against the door, slowly slipping to the floor. His life couldn't get any worse!

"Taurtis? Why don't you come out of there?"

NEVER MIND, IT COULD DEFINITELY GET WORSE AND IT DID.

There's never been anyone else in The Downside Up with him! Who was that? It wasn't a voice he recognized. It sounded... feminine, but there was no way it was Netty, Salem or even Pearl. The voice was deeper then any of theirs.

Oh gosh it's a Watcher isn't it?

Taurtis' heart raced as his breathing got heavy. He wrapped his arms around himself. This was it. They've come to kill him. He tried to pinch himself, nope, not a dream, definitely not a dream.

"Taurtis... I am not what you think I am."

"Then what are you?" Taurtis squeaked.

"I am a Listener... I listen to the cries of people like you. What the Watchers did to you... to the evolutionists, it wasn't right. I want to help you, Taurtis. You do want to get Grian back don't you?"

Taurtis teared up, there was a way? He could see his best friend again? He would do anything to get him back. Taurtis stood up and slowly opened the door.

On the other side was a tall lady. She was wearing a floor length black dress and had black burnt wings, feathers were missing, Taurtis could tell she wouldn't be able to fly. The most curious thing about the woman was her ears. Her ears were large and pointed. Maybe that's why she was called a Listener, it would be hard not to hear everything with those kinda ears!

"Taurtis... join us," She said, holding out her hand. Taurtis took a step out of his shack.

"I could get Grian back?"

"Of course, and together, we'll make the Watchers pay for what they've done to you and your friends."

Pearl hid in the depths of the fantasy district

Pearl hid in the depths of the fantasy district. She curled herself into a ball and took a deep breath. What was he doing here? She was in deeper than she expected. This little mission was suppose to be a piece of cake! She shook her head and slowly stood up.

She just couldn't let him find her... that was all. How hard could that be? Hermitcraft was huge! It was filled with mega-bases in the likes that Pearl could never imagine. It was easy to weave in and out between the buildings and get herself lost. And that's what she was going to do.

She slips through the fantasy district and into the medieval district, trying to move silently. She knew that any loud sound could blow her cover. She kept running... and running... and running... until. BANG! She ran right into someone!

"Woah? PEARL? Are you okay? Grian and I have been looking everywhere for you!" It was Xisuma, the leader of Hermitcraft. She met him a few days ago when she first woke up in Hermitcraft. Despite his appearance, he was really nice. Pearl was kinda spooked by the metal suit and helmet he had on, but soon all her worries disappeared.

She could still see his eyes through the helmet. She could see the concern on his face as she backed up away from him.

"Pearl, it's okay... I'm not going to hurt you..." Xisuma puts his hands in front of himself, showing the girl that he had no weapons. Pearl finally let down her guard.

"Are you okay?" The leader repeated himself.

Pearl shook her head, "I-I'm scared."

Xisuma frowned, kneeling down on the ground, "What's scaring you?" He simply asked.

"I saw a guy with large ears! And he... he scares me!"

The Listener. Xisuma thought to himself. "It's okay, I won't let him hurt you."

"Are you sure?"

"It's my job," He smiled and reached his hand out. Pearl took it, "Let's get you back to Grian, he's been worried sick about you."

"O-Okay," Pearl smiled back at him.

They both began to walk back towards Grian's base, Xisuma telling Pearl what all the buildings they passed were and who built it. Pearl took it all in amazement. She felt like a little kid at a theme park!

Soon the pair reached the beach of the futuristic district and looked over at Grian's tower. It was... tall. Definitely tall. It peered over the ocean like a skyscraper next to the suburbs. Xisuma quickly pushed a boat into the water and prepared to row over to the base... he should really get Pearl an elytra so she could fly like the rest of the hermits. But going by boat will do for now.

Grian sat on his bed thinking about all that happened today, from searching for Pearl, to Taurtis' meltdown. Xisuma told him to rest... that all this stressing wasn't good for the builder... But Grian couldn't rest.

He wanted answers.

Answers from the Watchers.