Chapter 20

Grian looked at the white amulet around his neck, it wasn't very heavy at all and seemed to slip under his red sweater with ease. Pearl told him that all new Watchers wear them, helps the powers settle in. Now that Grian was awoken as a Watcher, his powers should be coming back to him.

This of course, slightly terrified Grian. He could already feel what were going to be wings on his back despite the fact that it's only been an hour since returning to Hermitcraft from Evo. Pearl did say that she would always be there to answer any questions he may have though... So the builder-turned-Watcher may want to take her up on that offer.

One thing that Pearl did say back in Evo made him really nervous though. He wasn't allowed to tell anyone that he was a Watcher until his powers have settled. It was for safety reasons. They didn't want the word to get back to Taurtis because he might... no... definitely would try and sabotage the process, and that's really bad. Pearl explained that if a new Watcher takes off their amulet before their powers settled, it could cause all sorts of problems for the Watcher and whatever world they're in. The Watcher could even die!

The Listeners would 100% take advantage of that.

So Grian has the stay hush hush about this for two weeks or so. How hard could that possibly be?

It was definitely easier said than done.

"I think I would rather walk," Grian said, twiddling his thumbs.

"Are you sure? I've never seen you without your elytra before?" A mustached man responded.

"Yeah yeah, just my back really hurts," This wasn't a lie. The wings growing in wasn't a comfortable experience. It often left Grian sore and not wanting to do anything. But he knew he couldn't get away with that. His friends would investigate immediately.

Grian wanted to mess with the amulet under his sweater, but he knew Mumbo would see it if he did. Whenever he was alone though, Grian would find himself weaving the little watcher symbol through his hands, it was oddly comforting to him.

Grian's dreams have also been strange lately. Stranger than usual, anyway. There hasn't been a night where he hasn't been approached by a Watcher. It was the same Watcher from that dark room before, Justice, their name was. They were a friend of Pearl's, and captain of the Watcher Guard. They answered any questions Grian had about Watcher culture.

They were born a Watcher. Meaning they never had to go through the process Grian is currently going through. They have just... always been like that. Grian thought they were lucky. This was the most painful experience ever! And now thinking about it, he had to go through it twice!

He couldn't remember much about being a Watcher before. His memories were still very blurry of that time. Pearl and Justice reassured him that it'll come back due with time. Sometimes, he'll just need those memories triggered, just like how his memories of Evo were.

"Your back has been hurting for awhile," Mumbo commented.

Grian blinked back into reality, "O-Oh, has it? Strange..."

"Are you sure, that everything is alright?" Mumbo placed his hand on Grian's shoulder, making him jump back. Too close to his growing wings!!!

"Yes! I am sure!"

Mumbo frowns, "Grian, I know you're lying to me... Tell me what's wrong.."

"Nothing is wrong!" Grian's face turned red as his thoughts raced. He liked Mumbo, he really did, but the redstoner was really getting on his nerves right now. Grian simply spun around and walked away, shaking his head.

Mumbo opened his mouth to speak, reaching his hand out to his builder friend... but he gently lowered it, sighing in response.

Taurtis knew something was wrong

Taurtis knew something was wrong... but he couldn't put his finger on it. He did know all the Hermits know though. He listens to them whispering to each other about it. Grian, he's been distant lately, his back has been hurting, and he just doesn't wanna be around people. This wasn't like the builder in red. Taurtis knew that more than anyone.

But what could be wrong with him?

He decided to confront him about it. Taurtis teleports to his old friend's base right when he walks in.

"Grian!" He smiles, "How are you buddy?" Taurtis walks Grian jump into the air in response to his sudden appearance.

"O-Oh, Taurtis! Uh, hi! I'm... I'm okay!"

Yeah, the Hermits were definitely right about this one. Grian made himself small, holding one of his arms with his hand. He seemed to be sweating. Taurtis approached him. Grian steps back. Taurtis takes another step towards him. Grian, another step back.

"What's wrong?" The Listener demanded.

"What? Nothing! Just need some personal space, that's all!" Grian whispers that last part.

"You're lying."

"Whaaaaat, noooooooo!"

"You're lying, Grian." Taurtis repeats.

Grian gulped.

"What did they do to you?"

"Who? Who did what to me?"

"You know who I'm talking about! The Watchers! What did they do to you?" Taurtis stomped his foot.

"They didn't do anything to me!" Grian takes another step back.

"You're lying! They did something to you, I know they did!" Taurtis suddenly grabs Grian and pulls him towards him. Grian yelped in pain.

Taurtis's eyes widen, "Did they? Did they HURT YOU?"

"NO!" Grian yelled. Taurtis keeps a good grip on a struggling Grian. Moving his hands to his back when... he felt the lumps...

No...

No it couldn't be...

"G-Grian... you're growing wings..." Taurtis was on the verge of tears. He lets Grian go and grabbed at his sweater, seeing the ribbon, he pulls it out, finding Grian's Watcher Amulet...

"No... No no no no!" Taurtis dropped the amulet, taking a few steps away from Grian.

"T-Taurtis.. please, let me expl—."

"NO! You can't explain shit! Simon was right! You're really like the rest of them!" The Listener wipes the tears from his eyes.

And then he disappeared...